Cab swap

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you swap a cab yet still register it as the original truck?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I believe any time you swap a frame or cab in California you are required to report it to dmv.

Really? How many people actually do this? EVERYONE I'm sure ;Really :rotflmao

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually you dont do that you gotta report it
legally in most states you can replace every part up to 6 in from the vin tag though so cut and chop
or just do the paperwork

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rivets are "special" and they're not avail except for vehicle manufacturers. The proper name for them is "rosette" rivets that said, there's ways around having to replace the rivets. it does require more work but the results will pass all but the most ardent auto theft specialty leo. Owning a F450 with over 500k miles on the chassis, tearing up a cab at the welds is a common occurrence on F450's. Re-bodies are a necessary job on them.

DragRag

Reaction score
I wonder if something has changed, about a year ago I was told I could get them from the shop here in Hollister? Maybe he sells them and he shouldn't?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i did my swap we ended up registering it as historic and that allowed me to get away with alot of different things, one i didnt have to get it inspected because it was in my family the whole time and i put a whole new cab on it and just re rivited the tag onto the new one...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is this, it's legal if you do what ever the hell you want, then just quietly act like it's supposed to be that way.

Then again, I get a bad attitude towards the establishment sometimes.

If you're going to go through the hassle of making those kind of changes, do it like you've always wanted and stick with your decision. You only live once.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the advice.
I have a few more ? if you could be so kind.
The diesel is an 87 and the doner is a 90 gasser with an e4od and electric windows.
Would I be able to just plug the electric window haness into the diesel harness?
Is the e4od controll modual thats in the dash any use for a diesel e4od tranny?
I have a line on a diesel e4od