CAB Mount R&R

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello idi fanatics....i am still in the process of restoring my supercab idi and am now just changing the cab mounts i got the polyurethane upgrade..i think my truck will have about 2 inches of more lift! due to the rotten old mushroomed ones that are on it. but back to the reason im posting... has anyone done this before? im sure they have...i wondered what the best procedure or sequence to take these off and replace them is? any tricks? this is my first time period... ive already got all the mounts loose too

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
take a little time and search the forum. its been discussed a few times just recently i believe if you look at heaths crew cab build you will find a pretty good description w/ pics

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath did a write-up on this about a year ago...here you go ;Sweet

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46119

Heath's show n tell has been my go-to guide while replacing the mounts on my 85. Great descriptions and GREAT suggestions. My bed mounts were pretty straightforward - no OEM cushions to mess with. Just install the 2" lift blocks. My kit came with 6 bed mounts, but there are 8 points that can be used. I took a 4" x 4" wolmanized post and cut two 2" pieces - one for each side. That gave me 4 mounting points for each side of the bed.

The cab mounts are turning out to be WAY more fun! A SawzAll is your friend. The front mounts that are by/under the radiator were almost completely destroyed. All the bolts seem to have rusted to the steel sleeves that are inside each mount. I'm using a floor jack to lift the body slightly so that I can get the SawzAll blade into the mount next to the bolt. Then I hit the trigger and hang on. Man the dirt and dust that come pouring down is AMAZING!! I have the black polyurethane mounts that go between the frame and the cab. But it looks like I need to order new mount cushions that mount under the frame and fit between the the frame and the bolt head. I'll check with LMC truck tomorrow or Tuesday.