C6 transmission oil lines in hydraulic hose ???

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have tried using the search function but haven't had any luck.

I am wondering about re-running the steel oil lines for the C6 in hydraulic hose.
Has anyone done this ? Is it a good or bad idea ?

Reason I ask is I have had some problems with chafing through of the original steel line and had to replace using brake line material. Couldn't make a complete new one and had to use flared fittings to joing the pieces. They, of course, are now leaking and I am wondering about replacing both lines using a good quality hydraulic hose, appropriately sized, to replace with. This would cut down on vibration problems, access and routing the lines and of course rusting out. That would be from the C6 tranny through to the radiator cooler connections.

Has anyone tried this - if so how did it work out.
Anyone know the fitting sizes and types for the two connections (in and out) of the tranny fluid at the C6 housing?

As always. any comments welcome - how else do you learn. Any other idea's ?

Thanks

mariner

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used push lok #6 3/8 lines and A/N fittings hooked into a B&M 28,000 GVW cooler.
I still need to add a Filter that I have that is 98% absolute efficient at 15 micron.

Luckily I have torrington bearing C-6 that eliminated all the thrust washers in the unit.

Javier

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last 2 trucks I re-plumbed I used 2 pieces of 6' long brake line. The one end screwed right into the factory inverted flare fitting on the trans. Bend them so they are not rubbing on aything. At the supporting areas you can slip hose over the steel line so it isn't making contact with anything that would chafe it.

I don't like using rubber product that long of a run in the oily, heated, weather, road debris enviroment.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont do it the internal resistance of the line will cut down on lube flow to the rear of the trans. Seen too many burn up when to much hose is used.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all I've used on the Moosestang since I built it. Hose that is. The standard stuff that has the black outer shell with blue lining in it, and is made for transmission fluid.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all I've used on the Moosestang since I built it. Hose that is. The standard stuff that has the black outer shell with blue lining in it, and is made for transmission fluid.

I can't remember everyones vehicles so I ask, when did you build it?, Does it tow?, How many miles a year?
If these questions are answered with low numbers, then I can see it lasting unlike a tow vehicle driven every day for towing work and play.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't BS you. This is NOT a high energy application. However, that said, the oil gets plenty hot, and the B&M cooler runs all summer long. I'd think if your towing, you would want steel line to the radiator, and then you could go rubber the rest of the way around. I don't know what temp the hose is rated at, but that may not be much of a factor. What would though, is the fact that the steel line would have better cooling ability than the rubber hose would, so it starts dumping heat immediately after leaving the trans.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

That is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get.

I don't see the heat being a real problem for my application and hydraulic hose does manage to take heat very well - certainly in industrial applications.

It is that the steel line is a real pain to work with and get into place. I might take another look at routing and see if I can't improve on what is already there - steel lines that is.

My after cooler mounted on the front of the radiator is original ( 25 years old) so I was going to replace it with a better one (bigger?) and rerun the oil lines back to the C6. I do have an inline filter fitted - one of those all enclosed magnteic thingy's - don't know how good they are as it only got installed last summer (better late than never). It is mounted on the radiator support just before the inlet to the radiator lower oil cooler. I only tow occasionally these days -and when I do it is not more than a few thousand pounds. Any heavy towing my Dodge does.

Please keep the info coming - I am sure it will help others too, thinking about C6 tranny and how much longer it can last.

Thanks for all the suggestions to date.

mariner