C6 to zf5 speed swap complete!

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the help of another member on oil burners, I got the swap done. Now I just have to get the front axle swapped in. I gotta say we fought the turbos and the pedal assembly the most. I'm not sure if they were different generation Banks turbos or just the fact that one was for an auto and one was for the manual but they were different. We fought the manual turbo set up more. I also wasn't sure if the floor plates were going to be the same but they were. Anyways, feels good to have a manual again.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get great pictures. Here is a couple.
You must be registered for see images attach

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing how there are comments on other things and not others. Must not have had enough pictures

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you have the necessary supplies bud light and Malibu for working on it and water and vitamin water for the morning after the completed swap lol looks like the bud light was open before the swap was happening though?? My friend just completed similar swap but with e4od and colors light

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet, how are you liking the hand shaker? How long did it take to swap it over?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it, it took probably 12 to 14 solid hours of work. Maybe more but that was dismantling both trucks and putting one transmission in. If we had a gopher and all the right tools, second time around it could be around 8 hours I bet

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I've never been an auto guy, in fact my current vehicle is the first auto I've ever owned. I was looking on rockauto and they have like 10 different kind of bearings for a manual, what all did you need other than the basics (clutch master, slave cyl, trans, clutch/pp/fw)?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had a donor truck right next to it. So I didn't need much of anything. Some rtv I think is about it

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'd be the correct way to do it, hard to even find a zf5 f250 for sale in AZ.. even more difficult to just find the trans..

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Getting parts together for a C6 to ZF5 swap in Sherman's rat truck (86). I suspect as haven't looked yet but is the hole for the clutch rod in the firewall or is this something I have to drill out myself? I assume a floor pan from an 89 will bolt up to the 86 automatic floor pan to allow the shifter rod/handle to find its way into the cab.
We ordered a clutch kit for it already. Single mass that should arrive tomorrow via the square brown truck.
We have a donar truck sitting in the yard that is in pieces, it was being parted from previous owner and that same thing is happening here at our place.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting parts together for a C6 to ZF5 swap in Sherman's rat truck (86). I suspect as haven't looked yet but is the hole for the clutch rod in the firewall or is this something I have to drill out myself? I assume a floor pan from an 89 will bolt up to the 86 automatic floor pan to allow the shifter rod/handle to find its way into the cab.
We ordered a clutch kit for it already. Single mass that should arrive tomorrow via the square brown truck.
We have a donar truck sitting in the yard that is in pieces, it was being parted from previous owner and that same thing is happening here at our place.

The hole for the clutch master is stamped in the firewall, just drill it out. Also, the C6 pan WILL fit with a ZF5, as we pulled them out of each truck and they were identical, meaning the previous swapper simply cut the holes in what they had laying around.

And Nate, lemme know when you're ready to tackle the front axle swap. I'm gonna start on the SD axle swap in my 85 this weekend, trying to clean up stuff.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the later trucks like my 89, the hole is already there in the firewall and they used a plate to cover it over.

Just remember also you have a earlier truck, but you will be getting most of your parts from the later trucks. Except the pedal assembly. The later pedal assembly will not bolt up in your 86-dwn truck, you will have to hunt around for a 4 speed pedal assembly out of a earlier truck and use it with the later 5 speed trans.