C6 in place of E4OD??? Feasable?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have a '91 F150 4x4, electric shift 1356, 5.0 with a bad E4od. This is a strictly around town truck and a C6 would have few drawbacks. Does anyone have info on this swap? Will there be any electrical gremilns? Will the shift linkage adapt? Thanks in advance;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
im sure u know the C6 used a vacuum modulator for shifting. Just tap into any manifold vacuum and u should be ok. Another thing is the computer may look for the E4OD and cause an engine/trans code to appear. Only other concerns are shift cable for gear selection, crossmember and driveshaft lenght. If it was a manual shift transfer case u would also need the correct shift linkage but ur ok. I had a friend with an 86 F150 302/AOD that was bad and he put in a C6 and it was a fairly simple install.

Are u sure its an E4OD? Those are kinda rare in trucks with 302s.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost think that would be an AOD, but I am probably wrong.

Either way, the linkage of the C6 won't be too horrible. I'd just be curious to see if there would be any little fits the computer would have that could affect the performance of the engine. I never did much with that era vehicle's computer controls

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would up finding an E4OD on Craigslist for $400. That's what came in the truck so the swap was a bolt in affair. Its been really good so far.:angel:

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Just a little note here for future reference...

Talking to people who have had both C6s and E4ODs, the E4OD is by far the better transmission when cared for properly. I love mine :D. Also I when a aftermarket transmission control unit is installed on the E4OD it performs even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online