C-6 to E4OD

hardknocks

Reaction score
Ok....im tearing out the donor truck with the E4OD now . (90' f-250 4x4)

The OD button is on the dash , and also has cruise control on the steering column . I have the dash all apart and the motor stripped . Im taking the motor , tranny , cruise control . Ill be picking the motor saturday .

Anyone know what the tranny computer looks like? (think its a gold box behind the WTS light...but theres a few boxes back there)

Anyone know what exactly is needed for cruise control? Theres alot of wire harnesses that split from one another , im gonna try and sift through that tomarrow .

If anyone has any other tips/advise....fire away! :shoot:

Thx in advance . :)

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to do this for my 88 (no overdrive):( ...I was told there's alot of agg. involved making the E40d work.:frustrate

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardknocks-
You are really gonna have fun with this swap.......
the gold box behind the WTS light "should" be the brain for the cruise. The E4DOA brain is in the driver's side kick panel. the wiring connector is accessed from the engine compartment. Hopefully you aren't using this truck to make a living, because if you are, better sign up with a really good tow company. If you gotta have an auto, get the C-6 and a OD add on. Maybe in the long run you keep more of your hair and keep it from turning prematurely gray....

hardknocks

Reaction score
Great , thx for the info . Yea , ive heard alot of negative things about the e40d . But i really dont do much of anything with the truck besides plow a couple driveways in winter , and commute .Driving 55-65 sucks with the c-6 , and i have this tranny here , so im gonna try it .

But i took the torque converter plate off and looks like everything is painted blue as far as i can see , wich isnt that far . Maybe its been rebuilt if im lucky . I lucked out and the IP is . In any case i might save my c-6 just in case .

:thanks:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My trusted Ford mechanic says the E4OD is not too disimilar from the C6, and has even said some guys swap gears out of an E40D into a C6 to get different gear ratios. There are a lot of advanced tricks you can do to a C6, more than I would know about, but I think because of the computer the E4OD is inferior. I too am facing a lot of C6/Transmission questions as I look towards doing my Bronco conversion. I need a 4X4 C6, and may have to tear my 2WD C6 apart to convert it, so there are lots of things to be looking at doing while I am in there. Sure wish they had a lockup torque converter for them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel-
the E4DOA and the C-6 are siblings. Avery common enhancement to the C-6 is to put in a E4DOA 1st gear. Its a deeper 1st and you will get out of the hole quicker. You will have to be prepared for the drop to second tho. There has been feekback that it can be pretty unerving if your throttle is buried. Yes, the killer of the E4DOA is the electronics but moreso the massive valve body that is very sensitive to warping and distortion. I don't have any 4wd c-6 cases and taishafts handy, they are earmarked for the towtrucks. But the next core I get in, I'll give you a holler.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
There are a lot of advanced tricks you can do to a C6, more than I would know about, but I think because of the computer the E4OD is inferior.

Do tell O wise one:D I just dropped the greenbacks for the turbo & am starting to think the GV may have been the better route. What kind of tricks do ya have up your sleeve?

Scott

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
I'm thinking after tuning the pump for a few more revs, throw in a higher stall convertor, and a shift kit along with a little different gear set, and you'd be good to go.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, I've got a tailshaft housing and main shaft on the way, but if anything happens to it, I'll keep you in mind.

pudman

Reaction score
I saw that turbo69 chimed in.
He converted a standard to an E4-OD, so probably could give lots of info.

Having done the C-6 with the turbo route, I would have to say that no amount of turbo will compensate low gearing and high rpms.
I origionally had a C-6 with 4.11's, then tried 3.55's. 3.08's may have worked but I am converting to a ZF-5 with 3.55's now.
I run mostly highway so 75 mph is a normal speed for me. With the C-6+3.55+ats turbo with all upgrades and turned up pump, the thing was just out of breath turning 3000 rpms at 75. I had heating problems, it was too loud, just way unplesant.
My Cheby 350 powered suburban out pullled my diesel.
I hear of normally asperated 7.3's pulling well at 75 but running 2500 rpms and down so am going the ZF-5 route and can update later. I am kinda adding an intercooler at the same time so may not be an honest comparison, but I can say that a turbo did not help above 3000 rpms.