buying a used 12v...question

6_Myles

I be architect'n
Reaction score
If I wanted to buy a used 97-98 12v w/ the p7100 pump what do I need to know about first. Anything like cavitation that I need to worry about or major service items that might need to be replaced? Thanks, I'm trying to get me ducks in a row for a possible cummins conversion.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Get one from a manual transmission setup. The 97-98 have the 215hp pump. Look for a block that does NOT have a '53' about 1" high just above the oil pan seal on the front side of the block. If you do find a 53, look at the pass. side around cylinder 4 just below the freeze plugs for some roughness in the surface of the block. If it's there, shy away from it. If no blemishes or rough spots, it should be ok. You'll want to pull the gear case cover and tab the killer dowel pin. You can do this for about $50 in parts.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to go with a '96 12-valve with the manual transmission P-7100. These were the hottest of the bunch as for stock power levels and a good base injection pump to upgrade on. (delivery valves, plungers, etc).

As far as I know... the 53 block problem didnt affect 12 valves.... it was a 24 valve issue. I have yet to see a 53 block cracked on a 12 valve.... whereas I have seen them on 24 valves. The 12 valve and 24 valve blocks are slightly different (small details) too even though they were both 53 casting. The 53 casting runs were the smaller of the run between the two casting plants anyway.

KDP is a must as TCPDrafting pointed out. Once its done, no worries for life. Cavitation isnt an issue on these engines. I would replace the stock exhaust manifold with the ATS 3-piece unit. Stockers are known to shrink and crack the end ears off sometimes. Also check the starter contacts for wear and burning. Replace with one of those starter solenoid rebuild kits. (Cant think of who has the popular one... name escapes me at the moment).

Everything else of my suggestions are all power tips.... (Piers ported-ringed head, twin turbos, swap intercooler with a 24 valve one, etc.)

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 96 dodge d 3500 forsale it is 4 wheel drive with a 160,000 miles 5 speed 931 588 7383 the kdp is done front end is rebuilt new front tires 8,000 it is ext cab fayttevill tn