Buying a 7.3 idi parts truck

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up an1990 7.3 idi parts truck next week has a rebuilt 7.3 thats been bored 40 over think I found the motor for my turbo build comes with plow and a lot of extra parts for 600 from a buddy trucks been stiing for a few years now motor has maybe 10,000 on it at most

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run far far away, unless you want to sleeve it, but they didn't leave lips at the bottom so you can't.

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning guys....before you just right this truck off as junk, you've got to consider several things. 1st, it's only $600! It'll scrap out more than that just taking it across the scales! 2nd, if it has a rebuilt mill in it....it has a buttload of new or really good parts on, in or around it. So, it's a ticking time bomb...put that mill in a daily driver that doesn't work hard and run it till it breaks. However, everyone is right about the fragility of this 'compromised' engine. NOT a candidate for a turbo builder. But you'll still have tons of good usable parts and still be able to scrap the debris for more than you paid for the whole truck! I'd go for it in a heartbeat!!!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 600 bucks I'm all over that. Probably not the block I'd rebuild into a turbo'd monster, but for a DD or backup parts rig how could you go wrong. Around here a plow is worth around 1,000 if it's all there and basically works.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and may I add it's got a zf 5 in it and has a Dana 60 front

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buy it... The engine can be sleeved easily. No need to worry about the lip at the bottom of the cylinders being too thin. Just use the sleeves that have a machined flange on the top. Then the sleeves have no way of slipping down in the block because they were incorrectly installed. Sounds like you found a deal and a daily runner...:sly