Burning WMO, will 1 pint of brake fluid contaminate 20 gallons

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the equivelent of $100 worth of diesel fuel. If it eats something, there is a good chance that $100 will cover it. Sadly, we are getting down to basic economics here. 2 years ago, I'd have told you to drain it and burn it in your oil furnace. :rolleyes:

jrou111

Reaction score
I was burning some WMO that I suspect had a small amout of brake fluid in it. Other than a prematurely clogged filter it ran fine.

If you burned 5 gal, then topped off the tank, and repeated for a bit it would dilute a pint of brake fluid to practically nothing.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
That's the equivelent of $100 worth of diesel fuel. If it eats something, there is a good chance that $100 will cover it. Sadly, we are getting down to basic economics here. 2 years ago, I'd have told you to drain it and burn it in your oil furnace. :rolleyes:

This is sad, but it's the truth.... yet another reason to just run it......

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i cant tell you it wont do anything but personally i would run it. you are already deluted to a fraction of what it was.

so does anybody know what the real differance is between hydraulic fluid that burns lovely and brake fluid that is the devil?????

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i cant tell you it wont do anything but personally i would run it. you are already deluted to a fraction of what it was.

so does anybody know what the real differance is between hydraulic fluid that burns lovely and brake fluid that is the devil?????

dont quote me on this statement im not really shure
from my understanding that hydraulic oil is basically 15-40 ive put 15-40 in the hydraulic systems in old ford tractors like the 8n
but like i said im not really shure

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burn it, that seems like the best plan. Did a little bit of research this morning and brake fluid will not eat EPDM rubber which is what most of the parts on a truck are. It will eat old natural rubber and oddly viton rubber but not the EPDM with is what most all average grade fuel line it.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did some research and DOT 3 is made of various types of Ethers and Glycols, its the Ethers that can eat some rubber, I think.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly it eats paint. I figure most of us don't want acid in our fuel. :dunno

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
The solution to polution is dilution but.... When I worked in a chemical refinery we could keep sulfuric acid in a steel tank just as long as it was 99%. Its when the acid is diluted that it will eat steel. It will eat stainless steel when its around 3% in water. I saw it happen once. We ended up using a metal pipe called Carpenter 20. It made stainless look like cheap overseas steel. Sure would be a bummer if it ate every rubber part of your fuel system and injection pump but give it a try and let us know..:dunno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy_20

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight rider our idi rigs are trash pumps that can burn alot of stuff.

I know; I personally put some over half-a-million miles on my old 6.9, and countless miles on several others, both 7.3 and 6.9, back in the days when Ford offered the only genuine diesel truck.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
The solution to polution is dilution but.... When I worked in a chemical refinery we could keep sulfuric acid in a steel tank just as long as it was 99%. Its when the acid is diluted that it will eat steel. It will eat stainless steel when its around 3% in water. I saw it happen once. We ended up using a metal pipe called Carpenter 20. It made stainless look like cheap overseas steel. Sure would be a bummer if it ate every rubber part of your fuel system and injection pump but give it a try and let us know..:dunno

I work with 96% sulfuric every day. I should have thought of this before. For everyone running different blends of fuels. All of our plumbing is PFA, or, perfluoroalkoxy or some such crap:rotflmao . It is virtually impervious to all chemicals except those with TMAH (tetramethylammoniumhydroxide) in them. All connections are flare fittings which you can do with a heat gun and it comes in everything from 1/4" up to ?. The biggest we use is 1 1/2". There is a pretty comprehensive array of fittings for it as well. It is also somewaht opaque so you can see through it. The down side is it can't be exposed to high heat and it is VERY expensive. http://www.entegrisfluidhandling.com/Default.asp?ln=en
Also http://www.zeusinc.com/pfa.asp

Tom

2manydsls

Reaction score
I've used brake fluid to seal tubless tires where the bead doesn't want to seal. I just brush a little on the bead before mounting the tire. Works good.
Ross

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70