Burning oil

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well i have a 9.1 7.3l with an aftermarket turbo set. I am burning A LOT of oil and am also leaking a lot. The leaking from what I can figure and what many others have agreed with is the valley pan gasket. But the oil I burning is what worries me. It blows out a huge cloud of smoke every time I start it and every time I get on the pedal. Could it be a seal in the turbo? or what else is there that could be doing this? Thanks.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you could have valve seals out , but it sounds really close to seals in the turbo ,, way to check is to pull the intake hat boot or the intake and look to see if there is an excess amount of oil in there ,, there will be a small amount ,, but you can tell the difference .. if you cant really see any then fire the truck up and hit the gas a few times and see if it spits at you ...lol sorry ,,,, thats about all i can really tell you

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I guess i am going to have to break down and take the intake boot of and have a look. Not really a fun one to get to but i need to do it before there is any major damage done if i haven't done any already. I am still new to the world of turbos is it a job anyone can do to replace seals or do i need to take it to a turbo shop if that is indeed what it is?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most can do it apperantly theres a few writeups on here soemone will link it
but its easy with a few hand tools and the propper knolege
or send it to russ i hear he does good and well see about this logging cam soon once he gets it to me

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would send it out to a good shop , now depending on what turbo it is ,, if its a banks turbo then you can send it to them and have it refurbished ,, if not find a place that is reputable to send it to that give you a good guarantee on there work ,, i also think typ4 on here can do it or knows someone on here that does

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Forget about sending it to Banks... They wont rebuild it nor supply and rebuild parts for the turbo. A really crappy way of doing business in my oppinion.... Rus is the guy for turbo rebuilds but... How old is the cdr valve.... They don't last forever. If you have 35,000 or more miles on it just replace it. They really can'r be cleaned safely. The rubber diaphram breaks down and they start drinking oil. Its an easy fix but kinda expensive too.... Try both Ford and International for the cdr valve. Give ford parts online a call. Its actually bob utter ford in sherman texas....:sly

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
The smoke is blue and its the turbo. I get off school in a week so am going to fix the valley pan and deal with the turbo then. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online