Built Ford Tough

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was driving a big rig professionally I would mount a rugged digital camera to record the movements of morons who cut in front of me

That is a really good idea, but it would have to be a different kind of digital camera than any I have been around; it takes them way too long to come into action.

I have missed many good shots while waiting on the camera to get itself ready. :confused:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the idiots on the road multiplying exponentially ??

Everyone else seems to want to fly and drive right up against each other.

I back off to gain some stopping room and fifteen idiots will whirl around me and then nose-dive to a stop, taking my stopping room away from me.
They ARE multiplying exponentially!!! As for people taking your stopping space, I actually center on the divider line as I slow down for our driveway, as I'm sick of people gunning it and trying to pass me as I'm attempting a left turn. Can't always do that obviously, but even moving as far to the left in your lane as possible seems to be a decent deterrent against the speeders.

It's not your imagination, the idiots are multiplying, and while they are coming up with all the CDL BS and doing everything they can to get experienced truck drivers off the road so they can keep the turnover high, keep the average experience level low and don't have to pay anyone a decent wage because of it, they are lowering the requirements for the average idiot to get behind the wheel of a car at the same time.
Rob, it ain't just the truck drivers, school buses too, of all things - just yesterday I was almost ran off the road by one, lady had her left wheels on the divider line and her mirrors were like a foot in my lane, I moved over to avoid them and cause the road is so darn narrow my right rear outboard wheel caught the curb and the whole ass end of the truck jumped back to the left, which freaked the poor girl in the car behind the school bus and she yanked the wheel so hard to the right she almost drove into a power line pole! All cause some jerkus don't know how to judge distances and road conditions... and people like that are trusted to transport kids around cookoo

A few years ago, an idiot cut off a gas tanker on the I-95 overpass in Bridgeport, CT. Tanker rolled, load caught on fire and MELTED the roadway and bridge framework.
Same thing happened on I75 in Detroit like two years ago, closed the interstate for several months.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A really good example of the mentality of most drivers is exhibited to me at the stop-light where I make a Right-turn almost every day.

For about a half-mile approaching the light is an un-mountable concrete divider.

There is no Right-turn lane.

There is a Left-turn lane of about two-hundred-feet length.

I have yet to ever approach this light without some moron trying to drive with his hood underneath my truck, plus several more vehicles behind them.

The light is more often than not RED when I am approaching it.

From tried and true heavy-hauler habit and good common sense, I slowly ease up to this RED stop-light, gearing down and timing my approach such that just as I get there the light turns GREEN and I can proceed on around the corner without once touching the brakes or having to launch from a dead stop.

Many times, I have had drivers to whirl around me IN THE LEFT-TURN LANE :eek: and cut me off, slamming on their brakes to stop at the RED light IN FRONT OF ME.

Always, those behind me that intend to turn Left will sail past me as soon as that concrete island will allow, only to come to a nose-diving halt at the RED light.

There is no Right-turn lane; those like myself that intend to turn Right must wait their turn in line with the ones going straight through.

It never fails that here I sit, two Right-turn signals under the truck-flat, one Right-turn signal up high on the head-rack, and one Right-turn signal on the mirror bracket, all FOUR flashing brightly, signifying my intentions to turn Right, and here comes a string of idiots down the shoulder of the road, using it as a turn-lane.

They all look at me like "what's that idiot trying to do; why ain't he over here on the shoulder where he's supposed to be ??"

Whenever it is possible to do so without skinning any fenders, I try to give them a driving lesson; I'm not gonna sit there and get rear-ended waiting for the idiots to get around the corner.

During all of this, at least one, usually female but not always, blabbing on a cell-phone, will ignore that a light and other vehicles are even there, and liable to come through from any direction.

Needless to say, the intersection is littered with remnants of red and amber lenses, broken glass, and plastic and chrome trim.

The situations described above are not once in a while isolated events; they are what takes place every time I go through there --- three miles from my house. cookoo

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of people gunning it and trying to pass me as I'm attempting a left turn.

Probably 95% of my trips coming home, I have to make a Left-turn from a federal U.S. highway onto the little road that I live on.

It is like playing Russian Roullette to just turn off the highway.

Here I am with FOUR visible signals flashing my intentions and an equal number of brake-lights on the other side.

I have even doubled the bulbs inside the housings and added polished aluminum behind the bulbs; those lights are BRIGHT.

Three or four won't even let off the gas, taking the shoulder on the Right side, flying around me.

As often as not, some jerk will pass on the Left, sometimes passing the cars behind me that did have enough sense to stop.

A few years ago, I gave one left side passer a really good driving lesson; he went over a bank, between a light-pole and white plank-fence. LOL

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Any one but me ever notice that 90% of those that do this stupid sh*t are people in cars that have less weight than the rims and tires on our trucks?
hey LCAM-01XA I've had the whole run off the road by a school buss one to, That's why the frame on my F150 has been welded, kinda scary that we as a society trust idiots like that with children.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Any one but me ever notice that 90% of those that do this stupid sh*t are people in cars that have less weight than the rims and tires on our trucks?

I notice that on a daily basis. No one uses any common sense and for some reason, can't grasp the fact that not everything stops like a small car. It is astounding how many people will see you coming up the road with a trailer and cut you off, or pull out in front of you and not even give a thought to the stopping distance that your rig is going to require to keep from hitting them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
it wasn't that long ago that they used to let some of the older students drive the buses in some states They may still do.. In a lot of states its the teachers driving the blamed things to pickup extra cash, very few states used to require professional drivers for school busess. Only one I know for a fact is CA and you have to be a driving god to get that special certificate. Average driver makes at least 3 mistakes per mile, Try taking a 45-60minute driving test in a bus (have to recertify for each size and type rig ) with a special state patrol officer who hates bus drivers, while talking everything you do , see and look at out loud the entire time and making zero errors :eek: At one time I was a trainer for teaching new drivers out there and I had a neat trick for teaching them vehicle size and lane position, I'd have them run up the squirrliest narrow mountain roads with no shoulders and steep dropoffs and no cross traffic. THey would have miles to concentrate on nothing but keeping it squarely in the lane ( and Id be standing in the footwell ready to grab the wheel if needed) They would crap their pants, but my students would learn the size of their vehicle very quickly.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Many times, I have had drivers to whirl around me IN THE LEFT-TURN LANE :eek: and cut me off, slamming on their brakes to stop at the RED light IN FRONT OF ME.

Always, those behind me that intend to turn Left will sail past me as soon as that concrete island will allow, only to come to a nose-diving halt at the RED light.

I feel your pain! Last winter I was driving down one of the main roads in my city, and it merges from 2 lanes back down to 1 lane. I checked my mirrors, and seen the same car that was following my dump truck for 5 miles was still up my ass so far I could taste the fact he was using synthetic oil.

I merged over into the lane, and this son of a ***** goes out into oncoming traffic to pass me....after he had 1/2 a mile to safely pass me. Needless to say his car didn't make it out in one piece.

An oncoming car forced this retard to swerve back into the lane I had fully occupied. He crashed onto the back tandems, bounced off, and crashed int the steer axle and then pulls in in front of me and PILES on the brakes. He gets out screaming and yelling at me.

I was JUST about to teach this guy not to get out and yell at a trucker when I remembered I was training the new driver on how to run a dump truck. So I called the cops. This guy HOUNDED me the entire 1 1/2 hours it took the cops to arrive. I told him if he came back ONE more time to mouth off, he better have a cop with him because I was flat out going to break his nose....and I wasn't kidding. I really would have taken a swing at this guy.:backoff

anyways, the cop shows up, finds out this driver failed to yeild to me, and then looks at me and has the nerve to ask why I didn't give this guy room to pass. WHERE WAS I GOING TO MOVE OVER TO, THE SIDEWALK?!

I flat out told the cop "don't be stupid, that guy's lucky I didn't run the damn car over" and he actually tried to charge me with failing to prevent an accident. I was loaded to almost 65 000 pounds, in my own one lane of traffic and this guy comes barreling around me...I didn't even have time to blink before he was into the side of my truck.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wasn't that long ago that they used to let some of the older students drive the buses in some states They may still do.. In a lot of states its the teachers driving the blamed things to pickup extra cash, very few states used to require professional drivers for school busess. Only one I know for a fact is CA and you have to be a driving god to get that special certificate. Average driver makes at least 3 mistakes per mile, Try taking a 45-60minute driving test in a bus (have to recertify for each size and type rig ) with a special state patrol officer who hates bus drivers, while talking everything you do , see and look at out loud the entire time and making zero errors :eek: At one time I was a trainer for teaching new drivers out there and I had a neat trick for teaching them vehicle size and lane position, I'd have them run up the squirrliest narrow mountain roads with no shoulders and steep dropoffs and no cross traffic. THey would have miles to concentrate on nothing but keeping it squarely in the lane ( and Id be standing in the footwell ready to grab the wheel if needed) They would crap their pants, but my students would learn the size of their vehicle very quickly.

On my little 8-foot-wide road, there are a bunch of rent trailers that change residents every month and an old house-trailer full of ******** that are running a drug-store, punks tearing in and out at all hours, covered with the best insurance I'm certain :rolleyes:, and by far the wildest driver in the bunch is the school-bus driver ---he flies and slings that bus around the tight 90* blind curve, trying to take it on two wheels.

In my area, it is very rural.

We have a few women drivers; but, the biggest portion are "farmers" who claim they only drive to get the state health insurance ( nobody else around here can afford insurance, myself included --- we get sick = we just tough it out ).

The reason these guys drive like they are on a stock-car track is on account of they are wanting to get it done as quickly as possible so they can get back to the fields.

It doesn't pay by the hour, but by the day.

If the school system had enough sense to make them punch a clock and paid by the hour, those busses would be moving at a crawl and the kids would be much safer. ;Really

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a really good idea, but it would have to be a different kind of digital camera than any I have been around; it takes them way too long to come into action.

I have missed many good shots while waiting on the camera to get itself ready. :confused:
I was thinking of a digital movie camera that shoots continuously but overwrites the disc when it's full...it would be good insurance!

I treat you big guys with respect and get the hell out of your way. I only cut in front of you if I can accelerate up to the next car, but most morons think nothing of cutting in front of a loaded 18er and then immediately applying their brakes

A bunch of people seem to think that the laws of physics have been repealed:rolleyes:

Always kills me when I hear a traffic reporter blame a road shut-down on a jackknifed t/t, as if the rig driver was entirely responsible.-cuss

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I spent the better part of 25 years hauling freight between Boston and New York city.I can remember taking a Mack and a 40,000 lb load (of Budweiser)through the medium to save an idiot (no damage to the unit,but my trailer must have had kidney problems -it was leaking every where)made it back on the highway with out getting stuck.My company got a letter from St Johnsbury Trucking thanking us for saving thier drivers life(He jacknifed in front of me trying to panic stop-because the idiot slammed on his brakes in front of the St Johnsbury truck).The letter wouldn't even buy me a cup of coffee. I remember what the I-95 corridor that "sortie "mentioned well was like. Try not to tailgate (brakes in those days were not as steady as they are now-a lot of swerving during hard stops) leave plenty of room for stopping ,then an idiot takes the opening and you fall back more to maintain a safe stopping distance. Luckily I made it to get a million mile safe driving award.That didn't buy coffee either. :dunno

Last edited: