Building "THE ROCK"

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the frame-old style 450s didnt come crewcab. What sort of challenges am i facing trying to stick a CC LB onto a 450 frame?

The OBS f450 did indeed come in a crew cab. The 97 that I bought my front springs off of was a CC. I have a pic or two somewhere. I will see if I can find them.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the winch selection I have really been much more impressed by warns ti series than m series. The 16.5 ti will not leave you wanting power ever and runs cool too. I've got a 9.5 ti on a receiver basket with the synthetic line that I've mostly been stoked on lately though. Even for a full size diesel with plenty of rigging like snatch blocks and tree savers, the rope is so easy to rig I kinda like it better than having just a hard mounted big one ( I'm sure you know about doubling your pulling power by running through a snatch block). You can run overbuilt receiver tubes on all four sides of the truck that way and also have jumper cable ports all around also. Just a thought for you. Can't wait to see this build, this matches my taste pretty closely.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the winch selection I have really been much more impressed by warns ti series than m series. The 16.5 ti will not leave you wanting power ever and runs cool too. I've got a 9.5 ti on a receiver basket with the synthetic line that I've mostly been stoked on lately though. Even for a full size diesel with plenty of rigging like snatch blocks and tree savers, the rope is so easy to rig I kinda like it better than having just a hard mounted big one ( I'm sure you know about doubling your pulling power by running through a snatch block). You can run overbuilt receiver tubes on all four sides of the truck that way and also have jumper cable ports all around also. Just a thought for you. Can't wait to see this build, this matches my taste pretty closely.

good to know burt. What exactly do you mean receiver ports on all 4 sides and jumper cable ports? (as in for jump startign dead batteries?)

Im currently hunting for a dana 60. Goign to go check out the truck yard in flat rock MI this saturday hopefully they got some ford 1 tons in there,. 300 bucks fro hub to hub front axle, u pull.
AS much as I want to do a full build from a blasted frame up, for now I think Im going to have to just build up around my current truck. Nice thing is that everythign can be swapped over to a new build easily. But Ill probably just do a whole new build, version 2.0. My current truck will be the Rock V1.0. Turbo, 4x4 divorced tcase, im thinking limited slip in the rear so I can hav traction automaticly in snow and mud around "town", and probably welded spider dana 60 front. IF i can find some kind of aux trans that would be awesome for pulling. the 10 or 13 speed sounds awesome but reading through pirate thread, definitly alot of cost and fab involved. That would have to be for v 2.0. And most likely a cummins. Id like to see 15mpg hauling 10k lbs 18-20 unloaded. Maybe Im dreaming but thats my goal.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warn uses a big Anderson style plug for their receiver mount hitches. It's the same plug as tow trucks use and quality jumper cables are available with that plug. I ment simply trailer hitch receivers on the sides since you'll already have them front and back. Being able to jump from the rear is handy. I don't have receivers on the sides but have sometimes wished I had for vehicle recovery. The cool thing with the 9.5ti is that you can wire up multiple rigs and your trailer for it. I have receivers and plugs front and rear on my idi and on my samurai crawler. With the price of quality winches the fewer you have to buy the better. Are you talking about spooling the front or having non selectable hubs with an open diff?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spooling front...Can i still run manual hubs?
The way I see it0im only going to be driving the front axle when im in slippery stuff, so instead of spending money on a locker, just weld the diff?

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider running a spooled front in anything besides a Suzuki myself. Actually in a do it all cclb I would rather run open diff that even a Detroit. A selectable like an arb is the only way to go in front for me. I have run arb for years and when it's locked it can get real interesting when you get into a patch of good traction. Also steering at real slow speeds is near impossible. Trying to drive in 4 wheel on snowed over plowed paved road would be terrifying. When a diff is locked there is much less keeping it from going side to side (think narrow off camber road with a cliff on the downhill side and every bit of throttle crab walks you closer to the edge)I can think of several other hair raising examples of a spooled front end but I think you get how I feel about it. I doubt you would like it for anything but the price. Just one guys opinion but I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees based on experience.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
appreciate your input. Look like im going back to locker idea.

Very strongly considering a cummins. Man this N/A idi is just TOO DAMN weak. Just timed it to 9.8, runs about 75 deg cooler on intersite EGR wise, but smokes one gentle and hard accel (no smoke before), has more torque but still takes a gooood time to get up to speed. And im sure it will still suck with a load on it. I realize a non turbo diesel is like a midget trying to run a 100m spring. But cant seem to beat the hp, torque, reliability and mileage of a 5.9 cummins. Also hate working on my truck because EVERYTING is covered in thick grime. cant even open the door without getting dirty! This truck is on thin ice let me tell you..

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ill start by saying compared to anything a NA IDI is a complete dog and IMHO a waste of a truck which I recently got to experience when a CAC tube blew off. Frankly a turbo makes these trucks at least drive able so if you can get one cheap Id try just adding a turbo first and then when you go with a 6bt/12 valve/5.9 you can generally resell it for same price. All that said if I had the $$ Id drop a cummins in my truck in a heartbeat you just cant beat the power/reliability/cost compared to an IDI.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, only problem theyre 3k+. might as well just buy a whole truck for that much and stuff it in there!
im hitting up the wrecking yard in Mi this weekend which specializes in 1 ton and larger trucks.
Will be looking for hydroboost setups, turbos and dana 60. A turbo is 80 bucks, front end 300$.
Then kimmy rig some piping for the turbo.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
buy a used turbo kit....with the depreciation you can get a used turbo kit, rebuild the turbo and still have money to pay someone to install it compared to going new.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id definitly do the install myself. Probnably take me 3x as long as it should as that seems to be the norm with this truck, but I saved a few bucks right? Mainly-I just don't trust anyone but myself to do a decent job.

Ive been looking on ebay but cant find any kits so far. My main issue is that the truck has a 2wd zf5 but a 4wd cross member. as a result the engien is tilted back further than it should be. I put a 1" spacer block between trans and xmember, but its not enough. Might have to screw out the original studs and install larger ones, as well as a thicker spacer.
NO CHANCE i can snake any pipes behind the engine at this point. I have 1" clearance between firewall matting and valve cover.