Building an IDI for Nitrous

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a a '70 flatbed I will be making a compound setup as soon as I finish this project... So many projects so little time...

Don't get me wrong Turbos are fun and I've done that route already with this truck, I think it just deserves something special since it is a daily and I don't need all the power and extra strain on the engine all the time, nitrous makes plenty of sense. I've gotten near 20 mpg with this truck and with a rebuilt engine and a fresh fuel system I'm sure I'll exceed that. I love power and hot rodding but I treat my truck better than most people I know, a full bottle will/has lasted me months.

mark huff

Reaction score
I've got a a '70 flatbed I will be making a compound setup as soon as I finish this project... So many projects so little time...

Don't get me wrong Turbos are fun and I've done that route already with this truck, I think it just deserves something special since it is a daily and I don't need all the power and extra strain on the engine all the time, nitrous makes plenty of sense. I've gotten near 20 mpg with this truck and with a rebuilt engine and a fresh fuel system I'm sure I'll exceed that. I love power and hot rodding but I treat my truck better than most people I know, a full bottle will/has lasted me months.
How did it work out

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Nitrous is an oxidizer only, is there any difference to the engine between adding, say, 20 PSI of charge air, and the equivalent amount of Nitrous?
I mean... I'm pretty sure we've already found the limit of a (stock) 7.3 power wise, and that's somewhere near 450 HP / 1000 torque, where the connecting rods turn into taffy.
Would using an equivalent amount of Nitrous instead of boost to get that power level make a difference?
(Obviously, I'm assuming enough fuel being injected to make that power - something that is *not* possible with any stock pump. Something like 200+ CCs is required for that, IIRC).

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nitrogen part helps, whereas the turbo is compressing atmospheric air comprised of all sorts of things.

Getting 20psi of flow with nos isn't going to happen, unless you meant equivalent power factor or something... too tired right now lol

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Nitrous is an oxidizer only, is there any difference to the engine between adding, say, 20 PSI of charge air, and the equivalent amount of Nitrous?
I mean... I'm pretty sure we've already found the limit of a (stock) 7.3 power wise, and that's somewhere near 450 HP / 1000 torque, where the connecting rods turn into taffy.
Would using an equivalent amount of Nitrous instead of boost to get that power level make a difference?
(Obviously, I'm assuming enough fuel being injected to make that power - something that is *not* possible with any stock pump. Something like 200+ CCs is required for that, IIRC).

The only difference I could see with equivalent power would be lower egts. I would love to see an IDI with billet PSD rods, compounds, and a P-pump running some nitrous. That would be a badass IDI. I do know if Justin's setup with the stock PSD rods holds up to the compounds, that he has plans for the P-pump and a big set of twins. I can't wait to see where the platform goes from there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle