building a glow plug harness

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of building my own wiring harness anyone ever used this or know of any problems? Since I am not going oem and going with a cheaper option I just want to see if anyone has had any problems with this. I am thinking of putting ring terminal ends on and hooking it to the relay that way any problems with doing it that way?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0L-2004-2...ash=item4634f389e9:g:NwkAAOSw1DtXFaPo&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post is showing a 6.0 harness and you have a 7.3 in your signature. The two are NOT interchangeable. Why use rings when the glow plugs (BERU/Motorcraft) are post? This looks like a BIG headache. Stick with what works, stock.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from everything I have heard is that they use the same diameter bullet ends as out 7.3 glow plugs do. I am reffering to adding a ring terminal end in place of the electrical connector the 6.0 harness uses. I would simply put the ring terminals on the stud of the glow plug relay. Does that make sense.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at @laserjock build thread. He is using the six oh harness. If I remember correctly, Shawn in Delaware was the first to go that route.

It works okay but can use some tweaking. The spacing is close. But it isn't perfect. It's a good starting point if you find it at the right price.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it an I didn't have any issues. Yeah they were a little tight around the two intake bolts and the one was close to the turbo but I put 11k miles on it with no issues. Mine stayed tight, never came loose. I'll be using them again when I replace the glow plugs on the 1990 I picked up.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to DIY a new harness. I used 14g wire to bullet connectors from NAPA, routed the wires to a power distribution block with 30 amp fuses, and used a large wire with ring terminals on either end--2/0 or a bit smaller I can't remember--to connect the power block to the GP controller. Been using it for nearly 20K miles and only had a connector rattle loose two or three times. I tried to delicately pinch the bullet connectors a little to get a tighter connection and that seemed to help with them rattling loose.