Building a 6.9 to kill

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
What about a ats 093 up front with a 088 below, I know the 093 dies at about 27-2800, and from what I've herd (never driven with a 088) the 088 is just commin alive at that point.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
DB2 question, looking down at the IP from the front of the truck there is a shaft on the right side of the pump. the shaft rotates as the linkage pulls the fuel lever on the left side. on this shaft is an adjustable cam, the cam has a lever riding on it that is attached to a fulcrum and at the other end of the lever it drives a shaft in and out of the lower portion of the IP. what is it? i played with it some and you can really get some smoke going with it.

found a diagram, it is the advance piston.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What about a ats 093 up front with a 088 below, I know the 093 dies at about 27-2800, and from what I've herd (never driven with a 088) the 088 is just commin alive at that point.

because idi turbos arent ment to make over 10-11 psi of boost, they super heat the air after that because they are not at all effecient in anyway

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correction. Low speed advance plunger. This cam and associated hardware adjusts your timing until such time that internal pump presure is sufficient to regulate your timing. This is why these engines are timed at 2000 RPM instead of idle. Reving up to 2000 RPM takes the linkage out of the equation. You probably don't want to mess with that. It's just going to mess up your calibration at lower speeds. But from the sound of it... oops. Too late.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel...do you think you can talk to your pump guy to see how much more fuel he can get out of it? Besides the injectors/injector lines...what can he get out of a pump...and still be streetable?

Just curious LOL

No offense, but isn't that kind of an absurd request? Especially since whatever the answer is, your not interested in getting one? Let's say I come back with a number. 300CC? What would that mean to you then. :dunno

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Correction. Low speed advance plunger. This cam and associated hardware adjusts your timing until such time that internal pump presure is sufficient to regulate your timing. This is why these engines are timed at 2000 RPM instead of idle. Reving up to 2000 RPM takes the linkage out of the equation. You probably don't want to mess with that. It's just going to mess up your calibration at lower speeds. But from the sound of it... oops. Too late.

Yeah, read my post "rough idle and smoke" that shows what happens when that arm is out a little bit.....

-Jon

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
No offense, but isn't that kind of an absurd request? Especially since whatever the answer is, your not interested in getting one? Let's say I come back with a number. 300CC? What would that mean to you then. :dunno

I would be excited if that was the number!!!!!!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score

Mel I totally agree with you on the absurd. I was simply wondering, just out of curiosity. Who knows maybe youR guy use to build DB2's for sled pulls and knows off the top of his head what they can flow. Wasn't trying to offend you Mel, sorry man.

I'm just curious, these threads spur that on LOL

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
alright, the deal has been agreed on for the 6.9 motor. i leave friday to pick it up as long as it ends up being what is promised!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not gettin scared off, im not expecting to put down 900hp. i just love driving the damn thing, i love the 4 speed and i love the sound and hands down the best body style of ANY truck in my opinion is the 86 F250 regular cab long box. if i could see a reliable 400hp at the rear wheels i would be a happy camper.

Hey Abull78. I agree about the body styles, I also have an 86 reg cab long bed, great truck!
Where in Nev are you at? I am in Vegas.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the motor doesnt work out, I would recommend a 7.3L turbo block. It will be easier and cheaper to get parts like the lower compression pistons and it will have the updated rockers already. Also with the larger headbolts you will be able to get a better grip on the heads. But i hope the 6.9 works out.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Abull78. I agree about the body styles, I also have an 86 reg cab long bed, great truck!
Where in Nev are you at? I am in Vegas.

He's in vegas too. I know it sucks when you find threads like this because there is so many post in such a short time its easy to miss stuff.

Hey Abull let me know when you wanna play with the timing I'll probly have time this week end.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A copper gasket wont work for us. The heating and cooling cycles will cause leaks. That will get ugly fast too. I prefer Felpro head gaskets.. Others like Victor Reinz. There are several good brands out there. Just wait for others to post what works for them... If we can generate enough interest maybe Cometic will make a few sets of there MLS gaskets but.... If they do I bet they will cost around $150.00 each... Thats really not too bad but if your on a budget that may take them off the table. One more thing to add... The block and the head surface will need to be finished to a better surface than what the stock gaskets require....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel I totally agree with you on the absurd. I was simply wondering, just out of curiosity. Who knows maybe youR guy use to build DB2's for sled pulls and knows off the top of his head what they can flow. Wasn't trying to offend you Mel, sorry man.

I'm just curious, these threads spur that on LOL

No offense taken. We are the only ones doing anything with the DB2. All his other high flow customers are working with 6 cylinder platforms and inline pumps. Oh, and $4 to $6K budgets. ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online