Buh Byeeeee ******* injectors

wmoguy

Reaction score
Well I swapped out the DPS Stage 1's today that I suspected to be leakers and *******. They were replaced with some BBs matched @ 130 bar. What a difference!

Before my warm idle EGTs had crept their way up to 425, and I had started to get a constant haze of smoke at idle. Now I'm back down to 300 degrees at hot idle, and much less smoke

Powerwise I don't think I've got backwards. I can't say from the butt dynometer that I've gained much, but surely no loss.

Before with the DPS injectors I could peg 1400 degrees EGTs pretty easy if I layed into the go pedal. Today, coming home I laid into it hard, it was about 85 degree ambient temp, and I just started to creep up on 1200.

Oh, for those interested in what injectors look like after nearly 40k miles of WMO (heavy blends) looks like feast your eyes on this. I was very pleased to see what all 8 looked like (like this) Their is very little carbon buildup. For fun I plan to take these to a local diesel shop and have the pop tested and get some spray pattern pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those EGT's sound a bit frightening lol. Just curious, how long have you kept her at 1400 degree EGT's and how often??

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
When I pulled my injectors they looked clean and good but if I looked down the hole there was just a little hole where the spray went through. Cleaned that out and it helped!

wmoguy

Reaction score
Officially a happy camper to have those DPS ******* out of there!

Pickup fired off instantly this morning (Phazertwo can attest that was NOT the case a week ago when he was up at my place!) No more gawd awful smoke at cold idle, that had me to the point of waiting for one of my neighbors to come complain to me or something.

What I've noticed most is the warm idle. At a stop light, before it didn't idle "bad" persay. You knew the engine was running because it had a slight vibration. Now? NO vibration, you'd think it was a brand new engine or something, it idles that good.

Anyway just thought I'd give another thumbs up to the "old timers" here that all say it's a "Must" to get the injectors matched. I had mine done for $40 at a local Stanadyne diesel shop. Of course Typ4's come completed that way, and your missing out BIG TIME if you don't do this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A matched pop tested set of new Bb codes will have you wondering what the engine noise is. My engine will run so smooth all you do it hear the engine but feel nothing. I have picked up a slight idle vibration so all 8 injectors are getting pop tested and increased to 2000 or 2100 lbs pop. They are at 1850 now. Or at least thats what I bought from typ4 and used for around 5000 miles. Then removed and shimmed to all be at 1850. A couple of them were about 1750 or there abouts. One was 1925 or so... They worked great for some time too. More experiaments to do...:sly:angel:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between running different pop pressures? I'm about to have mine re popped, as I'm also at the 5000 mile mark.

wmoguy

Reaction score
What is the difference between running different pop pressures? I'm about to have mine re popped, as I'm also at the 5000 mile mark.

Confused, are you asking what happens when you have injectors popping at different pressures in a set? Or are you asking what happens if you increase/decrease pop pressure on an entire set?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Higher pop pressure with the pump adjusted to compensate (slighty more timing) should help with initial fuel spray pattern when they pop. Fuel will also have a higher initial velocity, etc. As long as they are 1700+ psi you should be fine. I forget what everyone sets them at though (1850?). The springs wear out over time, and after the intial setting of pressure they will likely fall a little and then settle lower. Just gotta have them pop tested and adjusted to bring the pressure back up.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I know it will be hard, but try to put some miles on them with straight #2 before running wmo through them. New injectors (atleast for me) dont get along well with the thick fuel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your's lasted longer than mine. I think I pulled those DPS junkers after 18K. I had the same issues you had....... smoke, idle, starting..... 100% better with the moose injectors in there.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin