Bronco Diesel Swap! HELP!!!

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, dont fix what isn't broke. If you know its a good running motor, and you know the history of the truck and that is was regularly maintained there's pretty much no reason to rebuild it. How many miles are on it?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
As for axle strength, quite a few of the 250's came with a dana 44 ttb also

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The swap is a go. Send me a PM for any parts, first come, first serve. Reasonable offers only.

broncoholic

Reaction score
How's the swap coming? I just found this site and am doing a similar swap on a 91 magnum 4 door bronco. I have the engine in place and don't know what to do about the wiring or the old efi fuel system. Have you had any ideas? I have the dash from the donor truck but that looks like a job to swap out

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get started on a Bronco project, complete body off frame resto. I have an '81 lined up for free. The body work should take care of any evening boredom for the next couple months. Finish the project off by taking the 6.9 from my F-250 and tossing it in there.

The only thing that's got me stumped is the running gear. I've got three choices, which I can mix and match. Not worried about gears, because I'll be using a Dana 44 front regardless.

-'78 F-250, Dana 44 solid + Dana 60 F.F. + Divorced NP205?
-'81 Bronco, Dana 44 coil TTB + Ford 9" + Married NP205?
-'86 F-250, Dana 44 leaf TTB + 10.25" F.F. + BW1356

I'll be using my T-19, and I'm hoping the married NP205 will bolt right up to it. My BW1356 is giving me issues, so I wanna dump it. I'd like to avoid driveshaft modifications, and ideally end up with the Dana 44 solid with one of the full float rear ends, but I think it may be asking too much considering the driveshafts and getting the u-joints and yokes to agree with each other.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
I did the 6.9 swap in my 75 crew cab ford, and am currently getting ready to proceed with the 6.9 swap into my 78 bronco.. pretty easy.. if you need any advice let me know.. going c6 with the bronco.. kept the 4 speed in the crew cab i did.

Ray

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why mess with the running gear? The stock axles are fine unless your going to beat it to death.

You must be registered for see images

All of the electrical problems are resolvable. You just need schematics for the truck and your donor to mix and match. The fuel system - dump the stock pump and stick a Holley Red in it's place. Leave the one in the tank alone. It won't hurt anything.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was an 87, with a 5.0 liter, and had a frame mounted pump, as well as one in the tank. I don't know what kind of presure your looking at with a tank only pump, but anything over 8 pounds will mess up your timing on the diesel. If you do have the tank only setup, I'd gut the tank pump and go with a single holley red on the frame.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder whatever happened to JLep. haven't heard from him in a few days. Maybe he's working ******* this project.

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm still around. Been very busy around here lately. Me and a friend have been working on selling a business that we started years ago, no time for that now, too much on the table. Also, we bought a bread truck and are working on pulling the 4bt out of that. I am going to move forward with the truck, just waiting for the shop to open up. It's a little cold right now to be working outside. So, as soon as we clear out a bay, we'll be rippin' into the dually. We got one project out of the shop this week, but it seems like one rolls right in as soon as there is an open spot.

Anybody see the baby stokers? Also what's the story on the 6 cyclinder diesels ford used to use? Is that the Iron Duke?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're still parting the F350 out? That's great. As far as the inline 6 Ford engines, do you mean the old 6.6 and 7.8L Brazil diesels that were originally used in combines? The baby stroker is even different, that's the little 4.5L VT275 which is used in the IH low cab forward trucks or Ford cabover trucks. The engine was supposed to go in the F150s and Expedition, but there was a problem with emissions compliance and it led to some other ugly things like lawsuits. I've never played with any of them.