broken springs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
saw today i have broken/missing leaf springs on the drivers rear of my SD:rolleyes: . where is the best place to look for replacements.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rob do you have a spring shop locally? They should be able to make some replacements or you could get some from a junkyard but who knows how long they will last. Then there is always aftermarket... Rancho, Superlift, or the like... Not sure if they will have stock height available but I would suspect they would.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me with my overload spring....I figured, well if im replacing springs i cant just do one corner....well if i do a set in the rear i mine as well do springs up front too....well if i do all new springs its cheaper to get aftermarket lift springs...well if i lift it im not lifting TTB...well if I lift it im gonna need bigger tires.....well a Dana 60, BDS front and rear springs, and 35" BFG A/T's at a total of over $2,000.00 later....I fixed my spring problem;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me with my overload spring....I figured, well if im replacing springs i cant just do one corner....well if i do a set in the rear i mine as well do springs up front too....well if i do all new springs its cheaper to get aftermarket lift springs...well if i lift it im not lifting TTB...well if I lift it im gonna need bigger tires.....well a Dana 60, BDS front and rear springs, and 35" BFG A/T's at a total of over $2,000.00 later....I fixed my spring problem;Sweet

I did new wheels, tires, springs, & shocks on my 88 because I couldn't get my old ford wheels to shine up enough. The "might-as-well's" are a *****.

69, find out which local spring shop your local government or trucking community uses & they will probably be the best source for making or repairing springs.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i thought about a lift and stuff but i just got new 265 tires and the truck is already tall enough for a work truck.

i had to do this exact project on my '86 when i first got it. what does ford use ****** springs or does this happen more often than i think. i do have a spring shop in the city but i didnt know if there was a better deal to be had online.

i wonder if i should upgrade to 1 ton springs. i didn't on the '86 and wish i did. but SD 1 tons have overloads with a bracket on the frame that my truck doesnt have.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
1 ton springs really no different, also the factory overloads suck, have to drop 4" to even touch them.
on the 00 I put air bags, worked good for what I did.
as for the broke spring, common ford problem
I probably have a replacement leave in my pile o parts.
Nick

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob if you can't find one locally, I have a place about a hour north of me called New Castle spring. I had them redo the leafs on my Mav a few years ago.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont see many myself, but its not rare thats for sure, my 84s pass rear is broken in the middle, and a 99 5.4 SD came in the other day and needed a spring replaced...

and nicks right factory overloads suck

how big a load are you carrying with her every day? if you had the springs made you could have them done with more leafs if you need the load carrying capacity, but if you have the money, bags are super nice

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if you have time to wait, im going to be doing a 6" suspension lift on an 03 6.0 F350 truck, so all new leafs all around, if you want me to ask about what may become of the leafs, send me a pm..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
saw today i have broken/missing leaf springs on the drivers rear of my SD:rolleyes: . where is the best place to look for replacements.

Black's Springs in Zanesville, Ohio can fix you up. Great people to deal with, I bought all my stuff from them to put all new under the Mule. Were very competitive on price and as I said, great to deal with. Very helpful.
Been dealing with them for years personally and sold their products through the parts store. They will ship, and actually suprised me on shipping most times. If you need a number, let me know, I can look it up, I have it here somewhere!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies. works been busy, i haven't had time to check in.

tbird, thanks;Sweet , but to me if i'm going through the effort i'd rather put new springs on than used.

as far a how much weight i carry, i have maybe 800-1000 lbs of tools/truck cap in the back at all times. the most weight i ever put on the truck was 2/3 cord of firewood, and the truck handled it well. i do travel some rough Amish counrty roads but i'm not "catching any air" or anything like that.

the previous owners of both my trucks has gooseneck or 5th wheel hitches in them before i got the trucks. no telling what kind of weight the trucks were subjected to. neither trucks seemed abused when i bought them though.

on another note, now that the driver's side of my truck is sagged 2" lower than the passenger side, i like the height better. it sits more level (front to back, not side to side:rolleyes: ) and it'seasier to get at my stuff in the bed. can i safely delete a spacer block when i replace the springs and effectively lower the rear of the truck?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Black's Springs in Zanesville, Ohio can fix you up. Great people to deal with, I bought all my stuff from them to put all new under the Mule. Were very competitive on price and as I said, great to deal with. Very helpful.
Been dealing with them for years personally and sold their products through the parts store. They will ship, and actually suprised me on shipping most times. If you need a number, let me know, I can look it up, I have it here somewhere!

yeah if you could find that number i'd appreciate it

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yeah if you could find that number i'd appreciate it

Black Spring Serv.
1516 S State St
Zanesville, OH 43701

(800) 282-3433 or
(740) 452-9256

Great people to deal with. I would tell you to tell them I sent you, but I have been out of the parts business for several years, they would probably say "who the heck is that?" :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7