Broken oil cooler

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
I'm an OTR trucker with an 1987 International skoolie / RV. I'm currently on vacation but with a broken oil cooler.
I'm looking for International part #1805849C1 for my 6.9L International / Ford diesel.
This is the rear end-cap casting for the oil cooler. It is the part that the oil filter spins-on. I'm currently in a truck stop and need this part badly to be on my way.
The truck stop folks are quite nice but I cant say much for the local IH dealer.
I dont blog well and can be contacted at [email protected] Espiritus Engineering at yahoo dot com.
thanx, Bob

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From your post, it appears you have a school bus converted to an RV. How to repair the oil cooler.

You will have to drain the radiator firstof all.
Remove the rear (broken) casting. You will get some oil and coolant out of it. Leave the front casting on.
Wiggle and pull the tube (coolant bundle) out of the front casting.
You will need new O'ring's for it, two large and two small. IH dealer has them. Also the gasket for the rear.
Large O'ring 1804414C1
Small O'ring 1807563C1
Gasket E3TZ-6A636-G
To reinstall use plenty of grease on the O'rings.
You'll need a pry to push the tube back in, then pry the rear casting on.
Hard to explane, but you'll see how.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oil cooler rear end cap--E4TZ-6881-D
Oil cooler Front cap---E4TZ-6881-D
Oil cooler Bundle---E4TZ-6A642-A
dONT' HAVE THE ih NUMBERS, BUT ih CAN CROSS REFERENCE THEM. Sorry bcaps lock was on.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath: Hard to tell what he has, but think it's a school bus converted, so it might take a van header. Sent him two emails, no answer yet. Gave him a TDS member's name and phone from the TDS Help Network that's close to St. Louis.

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
Dear OldeBull & Company:
Yes, it is a converted 1987 International school bus. I rebuilt the engine one winter, from the ground up, and with all new OEM quality parts....courtesy of Ebay. I could not have afforded it any other way. The oil cooler has been rebuilt within the last year, being boiled out and with new oem Ford "O-rings" installed, after being lightly oiled with clean/new engine oil. I used a bar clamp to press the ends together and in place. I think something is wrong with the by-pass valve.
The pressure jumps up to 100+ psi at mormal rpm's and blew the filter gasket out twice, creating quite a mess to be sure.
The item I need is listed on TinyAutos 1805849C1 and has several nice pictures of the new, in-the-box item but has unfortunately been sold.
I already tried the cooler pictured above 180584(6)c1 & 180584(7)c1, but the tube bundle on that one was angleds too high and ran into the exhaust manifold before the bolts could be slid home.
I've been told, mine is a "low profile" type, possibly used in vans etc.
Why this arrangement would be used on a bus with TONS of wiggle room, is beyond me???
The small end of mine is 180584(8)C1 and the big end (filter nipple) is 180584(9)C1.
[email protected]
thanx in advance for helping me locate this rascal.

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
Dear Bull & Company: If you would GOOGLE the website "TinyAutos 1805849C1" there is a great picture of the exact item i need. unfortunately that one has already been sold. I also posted a more detailed reply regarding the situation.
thanx...Bob

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
If you would please GOOGLE the website "TinyAutos 1805849C1", there are several pictures of the exact item i need. Unfortunately that one has been sold....
I posted a lengthy response to OldeBull. The relief valve got screwed up somehow and the pressure jumps up to 100+psi and blows out the filter gasket X2. Quite a mess i can tell ya ! ! !
the part i need 1805849C1 has the filter nipple and relief valve etc.
I've got new O-rings and block gaskets ready to go when I get the correct part. The last time i rebuilt it, a year ago, I use a bar clamp to slowly pop the ends on.
thanx, Bob

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the filter off and you will see the relief valve, it's the black ring on the right side of the pic, take something and push on it, for some reason it may just be stuck, that should relieve the pressure and fix your problem . Hope so. Report back with the results. OK There was a guy on the TDS with the same problem, dealership charged him $900 to fix it. But he was in Alaska, there greedy up there. If you look at all the pics on the web pics, it shows a bar clamp to squeeze it together.

You must be registered for see images

This pic is on the mounting face to the block, don't think that valve is your problem tho.

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• Oil gallery.jpg
    Oil gallery.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
Its jammed shut. Tried a screw-driver and a hammer, didnt budge. Kind messed up now.... Dont know If I helped or hurt it....
Did you see the one I mentioned when GOOGLING "TinyAutos 1805849C1" ????.

diesel_pusher

Reaction score
D.C: its a four bot arrangement.
Unlike the 180584(6)C1 end-cap, the 180584(9)C1 has the tube bundle so low to the mounting flange that one of the mounting bolts actually goes thru the end of the cone.
The (6)C1 has the tube bundle elevated and at an angle so that it ends up hitting my exhaust manifold.