Broken fuel line nut

adyszel

Reaction score
I broke my fuel line nut on the number 8 cylinder. Overtorqued it at an angle against the injector. What's the best way to fix this? Do I need a whole new fuel line? I'm guessing I need to remove the IP to fix this... ughh.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
To my knowledge, it'll need a new line. I don't see any way possible to "replace" just the nut. I just had cylinder 3 line crack at the IP. Luckily, I got a used set from a fellow member and just got the truck back up and going today.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May or may not need to remove the IP, depends on where the #8 line connects to the flange - the top four lines can be removed without pulling the IP, the bottom four seem like a real pain in the rear.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
May or may not need to remove the IP, depends on where the #8 line connects to the flange - the top four lines can be removed without pulling the IP, the bottom four seem like a real pain in the rear.

Or a "custom bent" 5/8" wrench.LOL It took me 4 wrenchs breaking before the 5th one worked.:D Sears was starting to wonder how I broke 4 Craftsman wrenchs in one day.:eek: I didn't tell them it invloved a vise, small torch, and a BFH.:rotflmao

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Thought about it a little more since I just had all my lines off today. #8 connects to the IP on the passenger side VERY BOTTOM nozzle. #1 sits right next to it on the VERY BOTTOM, but on the driver's side. It will at least require removing the other lines to get it it.

adyszel

Reaction score
actually i believe its no. 7 (passenger side near firewall), still probably be tough to get at though. Anybody in the south jersey/philadelphia area who has a spare?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a spare for #8. You can still get these through your Ford or International dealer, or keep an eye on ebay. You can usually get any line off the IP with a crows foot and a lot of patience.

adyszel

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I found a used set at a local mechanic, asking $60 for the whole thing so I may just spring for that. Its from a 7.3 but I don't think I should have problems, right? I seem to remember there was only a difference (maybe a spacer or something) on the #1 cylinder for the 7.3s?

Also, not related to this issue at all... my truck has Champion plugs which I may want to get rid of.... has anyone dealt with Midwest Fuel Injection? http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_69.htm

I contacted the customer service and they said their glow plugs are wellmans. ($6/each) Cheap price but expensive shipping. Good deal?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Is the front driver's side #1 or #2 cylinder?:dunno For some reason, I thought the cylinders were in this order...

BACK
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
FRONT

adyszel

Reaction score
I thought it was too but then I convinced myself of the opposite. I think the number 1 is on the passenger side remember how it's stamped on the intake manifold. Mel probably would have caught me on this since he knows more about these engines than the engineers who built it.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I thought it was too but then I convinced myself of the opposite. I think the number 1 is on the passenger side remember how it's stamped on the intake manifold. Mel probably would have caught me on this since he knows more about these engines than the engineers who built it.

I never checked the the intakes manifold for cylinder location... I did see the firing order stamped on the intake, and it starts off with #1, and ends with #8. The bottom passenger side port on the IP runs to the passenger rear injector, and then the bottom driver's side port on the IP runs to the front drivers side injector. At least I think that's how it was.:dunno The make me think the cylinder location was how I described above...

Mel... We're asking for a little advice on cylinder location here... *hint, hint*:D:rotflmao

adyszel

Reaction score
i was wrong about the stamp but right about the numbering. On mine theres a no. 2 stamped on the drivers side near the rad. its academic, bc i'm planning on buying all the lines anyway.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get that line with a 12 point flare nut crows foot and a wobble extension on the pump. Snap on has it. Worth it's weight in gold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes #1 is the one just under the fuel filer, and is the one on F series trucks with the pulse adapter. You cannot use a 7.3 F series #1 line without the adapter. E Series vans have the adapter on the #3 injector, so you have to watch out for those too. With #1 and #3 being the exceptions, all other injector lines are identical across the entire engine family.