broke shift selector tube

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well guys/girls its been awhile.been very busy with work and play.(got me a new rincon 680;Sweet )truck has been running great until recently,first about a month ago the flexplate broke because of a rotted out tranny crossmember.then a few weeks ago the powersteering gear blew the lower shaft seal out and in the process wrecked the pump due to a lack of oil(go figure).got that fixed then monday i wnt to leave work and when i tried to move the lever to drive i heard a loud bang and the lever just flopped around.took it apart and found the aluminum shift selector shaft broke in half.called our local hole in wall dealer and they had it in stock 20 bucks:confused: .they have to order everything any other time.anyway i will fix it tommorow after work,but has anyone else had this happen?must be a fairly common occurace for them to keep one in stock right?oh,did i mention i have a fuel leak also,when it rains it pours i guess.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
common occurance.
get the new bushing while you at it.
dont even have to pull the column out the hole way, just remover the lower dash, the shift cable, the indicator cable, and lower the column down. you will need a t-30 bit to remover the holddowns.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too bad you arent closer to me.i just converted my 94 to a 5 speed and removed the shifter parts from my column to make it a standard column.i would gave it to you.

but ya its easy to replaceshould take a person with minimal mechanical knowledge about 45 minutes to replace it.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
yep it was pretty simple to do.hard to belive that piece breaks.it is a fairly heavy duty piece of aluminum,and all its moving is the shift cable and tranny linkage.