Broke Glow Plug Tip follow up

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would a 6.9 sound like without a glow plug screwed in one of the holes. I broke a stuck tip off and tried blowing it out with compression from the motor. Truck cranks and runs fine but has a definite tick on that cylinder. It looks like the tip is still stuck in the gp hole, but I'm not sticking my hand over hole with truck running to see if I can feel compression. Not sure if the tip is what seals the hole or if the tick is air coming around broke tip.

I figured when it blew out it would make a swooshing sound not a ticking sound, but I may be wrong. I haven't heard any loud pops like tip coming out or going down!! Not sure if that's good or bad at this point. Had an old mechanic tell me if it doesn't blow out fairly quickly after cranking truck and a short drive, just cut and old gp tip off and screw it in hole and roll on. That's about where I'm at at this point.

Thanks in advance.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only the tip is still left in plugging the hole, try removeing it with a square easy out, if it falls into the precup, remove the injector, use a shop vac over the injector hole, then sprits of compressed air into the GP hole, you should hear it rattle around or sucked it out. Run that piston up to TDC before doing that. You can also try screwing a screw in to it and try prying it out, use PB Blaster or similar to lube it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
if the plug is actually still stuck in the hole running the truck up a grade loaded will soften that plug and it will blow out if all the threads are not ingaged. the actual seal takes place under the threads. that bevel area contacts a similar area in the head to form seal. place a balistic pad over that area if you try blowing it out. it will rip thru your hood..

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threads are definitely not engaged (there not there). It's just the tip stuck down below the threaded part. It's definitely not going down, I believe it will work it's way out eventually and running up a grade loaded may be the ticket. I'm very curious as to the noise it's making. I know the tip isn't in the cylinder as I can see it in the hole, but the motor is making a tapping (almost like a lifter ticking) on that cylinder. I wouldn't think there would be any compression getting by the tip to make any type of noise, and like I said the tip is still in the glow plug hole so it's not down on the piston.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh you never know...you see one SIDE of a not so good broke GP, a small bit of the other end may have come off and gone down through the precup and be hammered into the piston kinda like what my valve did.

Not pretty what so ever...don't ask how I know.

LOL

:popcorn

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Believe me when I say that it's very loud with an open glow plug hole. That's a lot of pressure coming out of that little hole. You'll know when it comes out.