Break Problems 91 Explorer

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Hey all I have a 91 4x4 Explorer. The shims that holds the Caliper in place keeps falling out. I have replaced both of them with new wedges/swedges what ever they are called and they keep moving out of place any idea's?:confused:

Last edited:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Is the slide clean, free of burrs and lubed? Caliper not damaged? There are some types that require a bolt in addition to the keeper, but these only use one on top, not two (top and bottom). The keeper on these is designed differently than the double type.
James

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed was a slight warp in the rotor nothing major. Every thing slide and move nice after I cleaned it up that is when I started loosing the swedges. They both were out to where there was only about a 1/2 left in the slide. Its got me stumped wish I did have a bolt to tighten up on it. Can I drill and tap a holder of some kind?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Are they tight when you put them in? They should be pretty tight. If you pushed them in with your finger, that's too loose! You mentioned your rotor is warped, while I have never heard of that cause them to come out, theoretically it would move the caliper in an unusual fashion when it is forced in direction of rotation. Could possibly cause the keepers to move out. Once you loose one, the other will be gone in short order!
Try a new rotor and see what happens.
James

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I am gonna give the new rotor a try. I had to pound them in and out even when there was only one left. So only thing is the slight warp to the rotor. Thanks for the advice

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
The only reason I have ever seen for those keepers to come out is people putting them in upside down.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Well there was 2 in each package. They appear to be the same and they only come loose on the driver side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online