Brake trouble

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put on new brakes, calipers and rotors in the front end. While driving i have alot of grinding going on, is there a brake in peroid when doing this job?, or did i do something wrong.

gandalf

Reaction score
There is n o brake in period that I've ever heard about for the job you've described. I'd quit driving the truck immediately until you've figured out what happened.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what could be happening, job went smooth. The brakes are definitely rubbing tho.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that threw me was on the back of the caliper there is a clip that holds the pads apart, haven't seen this before. Is it there to help with putting on the brakes then removed once there on. Her is a pic of what mean.
You must be registered for see images attach

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a anti rattle clip. It keeps the pads from moving when the brakes are slacked. It stays on there all the time. I'd pull it off and see if it is rubbing on the rotor, and make sure the ends are in the slot on the rotor. Did you replace the pins or reuse the old ones? They may be worn enough that the caliper is not aligned right. They have a rubber block inside that breaks down over time.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a anti rattle clip. It keeps the pads from moving when the brakes are slacked. It stays on there all the time. I'd pull it off and see if it is rubbing on the rotor, and make sure the ends are in the slot on the rotor. Did you replace the pins or reuse the old ones? They may be worn enough that the caliper is not aligned right. They have a rubber block inside that breaks down over time.
Replaced everything, think I just realized my screw up, didn't compress the cylinders before putting brake pads on.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with it. Why would it?
Only issue that would cause is you wouldn't be able to get the caliper on. You're obviously passed that part. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Ya caliper went on fine, as i spin the tire i can hear it rubbing on rotor but the tire is easy to spin.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your brakes have the small I beam looking thing that slides in the bottom to hold the caliper to the knuckle? If so, it can be installed wrong so that it grinds on the rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I had a similar brake issue a year ago. Bought new front brake lines, calipers, rotors, and pads but no matter what I did the pads on the passenger side would rub badly and the driver side wasn't much better. All parts were through NAPA and pads were the heavy duty Fleet-sumpn-sumpn pads. I had several pairs of partially worn pads that worked just fine so after waaay too much fiddle-fartin' around I just used the older pads with the hope that something new was just a hair outta' spec and would wear down by the time I needed to try the new pads again. Not really a great solution but my truck stops just fine, every time.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I had a similar brake issue a year ago. Bought new front brake lines, calipers, rotors, and pads but no matter what I did the pads on the passenger side would rub badly and the driver side wasn't much better. All parts were through NAPA and pads were the heavy duty Fleet-sumpn-sumpn pads. I had several pairs of partially worn pads that worked just fine so after waaay too much fiddle-fartin' around I just used the older pads with the hope that something new was just a hair outta' spec and would wear down by the time I needed to try the new pads again. Not really a great solution but my truck stops just fine, every time.
I thought this might be the case and just need to run them for a bit to see what is what. Hate the sound there making and it sure makes people stare haha. I cant see anything i did wrong, it's a pretty simple job.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your brakes have the small I beam looking thing that slides in the bottom to hold the caliper to the knuckle? If so, it can be installed wrong so that it grinds on the rotor
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think i have that on my brakes, only thing that I can think of like that is the pins that hold the caliper on the bracket.