Brake problem

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I was driving in traffic yesterday. When I had to get on the binders pretty hard to keep from running a red light. When the light turned green and I tried to move it acted like the E-brake was on. I had to put in in first to get it to move off the road and out of traffic. I tapped on the proportioning valve to see if maybe it had stuck or something. I had it happen once more that evening too. Any ideas?? Is this the item that is a recall part?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it gets stuck run it down the road a mile or two, and then get out and feel the wheels. If one or two are hotter than the others, you know the problem is in that area.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Franklin said try to narrow it down to either front wheel or one or both back wheels. If it's one of the front wheels then good chance caliber is hanging up. If it's a rear it may be wheel cylinder or even rubber brake hose attached on the driver side rear axle tube. Report back with findings.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pulling up on the pedal. My truck's pedal sticks down about an inch, it will sit on a hill and not roll back, I'll pull up on the pedal and it will roll.

Its not the recall, the recall is about the cruise control.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the brakes are still locked try loosening the master cylinder at the booster and see if the brakes release. If they do there is a problem with the master or booster. If they remain locked or dragging try cracking a bleeder to see if there is pressure present. (don't step on the brake pedal!!) If there is and the the brakes release after cracking the bleeder there may be a problem with the RABS or proportioning valve depending on how the truck is equipped.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Sorry about not clarifying. When it happened I touched the drums and both were really hot, far too hot to keep your hand on for any length of time. Like said, I had to "Drag it" out of traffic. The antilock light did turn on the other day though. How much is this RABS valve or am I going to have make a deal with the devil (Ford Parts Dept)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully your problem is hydraulic, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that you broke a lining free. Most linings are riveted, but I've seen bonded linings come loose from the metal, and jam up inside. Those are a real ****** to get apart since you can't loosen the brakes in any way.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a 91, so you should have a sterling rear. The rear drums just pull off, so like was just suggested, I would tear it down and see what they look like back there.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second Black dawg vote on the RABS valve.

My 91 started locking up the rear drums after a couple of hard stops and it would take a couple of hours to release. I disconnected the electrical plug to the RABS valve and the problem has not occurred again. Have not have time to track down if it is the valve or an controller/sensor issue.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I second Black dawg vote on the RABS valve.

My 91 started locking up the rear drums after a couple of hard stops and it would take a couple of hours to release. I disconnected the electrical plug to the RABS valve and the problem has not occurred again. Have not have time to track down if it is the valve or an controller/sensor issue.

I'll give it a try. Thanks all;Sweet