brake parts

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been price checking brake parts----caliper/rotor/pads and found auto zone to be the lowest. But these auto parts places deal a lot with parts from china. I checked with ford/motorcraft and the prices are only slightly higher except for the rotors. The ford ones are 2x as much but was told about the china issue. I forgot the pads were 2x as much also but was told fords are better for heavy duty use.
What have our fellow oilburners been using/finding out about this????????????????

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you buy autozone pads do not get the cheap ones, they wear out in 5k miles if you work them. their expensive ones are fine.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Bendix or Wagner.
Just bought these for my rear disk swap for 25 shipped.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll vouch for Azone's top of the line Pads. They held up just fine going down a mountain at 85 MPH when the 30' 5th wheel trailer brakes failed because of a broken brake wire up in the Yukon. I bought some NAPA pads, $160 for there best, don't like them at all.
The above post only states he bought Bendix, not whether there any good or not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use the Raybestos Brutestops up front. they wear like blue steel... A cat couldn't scratch it..:eek::D:thumbsup:.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems ceramic pads is what to look for but no one said anything about calipers or rotors. I read about calipers that advanced auto posted steal pistons or plastic, steel were more--azone said nothing and I forgot to ask ford. About rotors ford justified their 2x price that they are not made in china.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that china is now making stuff so cheap that the usa companies stopped producing things here. But honestly ive not had any trouble with chinese brake parts.the azone pads are chinese too

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I bought the expensive Chinese rotors from O'reilly and warped them in a year. I then went and got the cheap Chinese rotors and they are holding up much better. Don't get the cheap pads though. I got the middle of the road as far as pricing and paired with my cheap rotors are working great. I've had a couple panic stops while pulling my trailer that I thought would warp them but it's been two years and they still feel smooth.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/Premium-Dimpled-and-Slotted-Brake-Rotors.php
My buddie put the premium liftime warentied rotors, from this place, on his 2010 250 gasser. He had warped the rotors twice before with the oem rotors that came on in from the factory. Since the new ones where put on 10,000 mi ago no problem. $189 for two rotors and pads with liftime warrantee against warpage isn't to bad of a price. And there plated so they shouldn't rust.

I have a brand new set of the same rotors and pads (box never opened) for a 2009 gmc 1500 4x4 crew cab that I need to get rid of if anyone needs them.

one thing is the only rotors they sell that are lifetime waranteed for warping are these:
Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors
LIFETIME Warranty Against Materials and Workmanship Defects. LIFETIME Warranty Against Warping and Cracking.
Unlimited mileage.

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth remembering that harder pads mean longer pad life but more rotor wear, and vice versa.

I'd go through rock auto personally - good chance of finding decent quality parts on there I feel, and decently priced. Dealership stuff is going to be overpriced no matter what, and quality of chinese made junk is questionable even on the expensive parts. But that's just my opinion.

I' also feel that slotted/drilled/whatever rotors don't do much for this application - for high speed high performance stuff they have some benifit in allowing venting of gasses from the pads, but for truck you shouldn't ever need to be constantly on the brakes hard enough to cause the problem in the first place. If they were really useful for heavy duty work you'd see it on semis and I've yet to see that. Same thing with the 'cyro' steel rotors - not enough difference to be worth the money IMHO.

Course, I'm not the person to ask since I've yet to wear out the set of pads I put on the truck when I put it back on the road some 10 years/~75k miles ago..... ;Really Yep, I've rebuilt the motor in the truck more often than I've had to do brakes. LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ what he said.

Shouldn't be going through rotors like that. Gotta be a problem somewhere. Rather mechanical or operator.

I don't care diddly squat about brake dust. I choose the metallic pads.
Personally I use duralast gold. (The expensive ones)
Lifetime replacement. Had to swap a pair out that was 2 years old, on a compact car. Already worn down to the squealers.

I won't use ceramic pads.
And I don't like the pads from oreilly's.

Heard good things about EBC.
I was looking at the mean green pads. (I think that's what they're called)

You may find it cheaper to get loaded calipers, but it may be a cheap pad.

OB members do get a discount on frozenrotors.com iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want more jobs to go to China, buy more Chinese parts. I gladly pay more for items made here.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the deal with ceramic pads. Every place sure does push them

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will jump in here and add that since I put one size larger wheel cylinders on the rear my front pads are lasting WAAAAYYYY longer, I was wearing out a set in 6 months, now have 2 years on them. The rears need to work correctly.
Also I have cracked both oem and cheap rotors before the rear upgrade, now all is good.

Modify brake system at your own risk.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will jump in here and add that since I put one size larger wheel cylinders on the rear my front pads are lasting WAAAAYYYY longer, I was wearing out a set in 6 months, now have 2 years on them. The rears need to work correctly.
Also I have cracked both oem and cheap rotors before the rear upgrade, now all is good.

Modify brake system at your own risk.

I need to change mine; any part number for info on this?