Brake pad recommendation

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the pads on my truck. I have no idea what it had before, but they worked great. The ones I have now just don't bite like the old ones. So, rather than try pad after pad, I would like to hear what works and hopefully something recent, as companies are bought, products changed, etc, and I want something that I can buy now and know its good, rather than something that was bought 15 years ago, but is crap now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well what do you have now?
I've always used the duralast gold from auto zone.
The ones from orielly seem to be good, just noisy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've liked the Wagner thermoquiets on my other cars so I bought them for the truck. Have got them on yet.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on my Excursion. They have performed well in all conditions and towing. They don't seem to be as affected by water when driving, and these are the only pads I've had that don't make noise if the truck has set for a few days, or after a rainstorm.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Generally, any recommendations between metallic and ceramic?

Awhile back I was reading something that said metallic is better. Ceramic is more of a race car type application. Don't know for sure. Just what I read.
Sounds like I may try the wagners next though.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RLDSL recommended Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads to me the last time I had to do brake pads. So far, they've served me very well! They wear well, stop well, and are quiet...and I haven't seen much in the way of dust. I'm planning to stick with them unless and until I hear a good reason otherwise ;Sweet

For what it's worth, I found this thread discussing this subject from a few years ago...

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?48773-Lets-talk-Brake-Pads

And, the thread where I got my recommendation:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?40109-Recommendations-for-brake-pads

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking for this post, thanks. Yeah $155 for pads, never again. Duralast for me next time. Still got the NAPA on the truck after 60K miles tho, gotta get my money out of them.

Below is the post looked for.

I had to replace the Calipers (Azone $138), Rotors (NAPA $185) and Pads (NAPA $155). I've now got 35,000+ miles on them, the pads seem like they are too hard of material, like they don't really grab. If I had my druthers I would have replaced all of that with the Azone rotors and pads (Duralast Gold $76) which I did on my Class 3 motor home, (much heavier than the F-350) much better stopping power. The truck has Hydroboost, where the motor home (Vacuum boost) does not. The NAPA pads may last longer, but I would rather have better stopping power. As a comparison, the truck has 4 wheel disc, the MH has shoes on the rear. You've seen the NASCAR brakes RED hot, well that's why I had to replace all on the truck up in the Yukon in the rain, lost the 30 ft. 5er brakes down a 9% mountain grade, what a ride, had to change my shorts also.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Wagner Severe Duty, a little pricey but I'm happy with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle