Brake lights stuck on

scrappy

Reaction score
check the brake switch 1st. then try unplugging the brake controller if you have one. Mine would just arbitrarily come on by themselves with no one in/around the truck, and I disconnected the brake controller and no more uncommanded lights.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
If equipped with factory Trailer Tow package... check the plug on the back end.....(would think this would apply to any aftermarket too)

My '96 had the same problem one night and the plug end had corroded (road salt) and shorted out the brake circuit. Just unplugged the short pigtail and got myself a new one.

BMF

Reaction score
To check the switch you'll need a ohm meter. I looked at mine and it has 4-5 wires so you may have to touch the leads to several dif. ones till you find the right wires. Be sure and unplug the loom from the switch before testing. You might also try pushing the pedal down by hand and working the switch with you're finger. It could be that it's stuck.
Seeing as how you live in Alberta EMD is more than liking on the right track though. Probably got corroded and shorted out at the plug.