Brake fluid gone

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to drive my parts truck around the farm today, and the brakes were not working as usual. The pedal would go to the floor and when I checked the Master it was empty. Got lucky and refilled the Master and the brakes are back but not as firm as they should be. The problem is I can not find the leak. I checked all the lines and components. It could be the slaves, but with that much fluid leaking you should see the fluid coming out of the drums.

This is just a truck that I bought for parts, but it runs so good I would like to keep it complete. Also, another question on a different subject. The oil in this parts truck does not turn black like my other 94 idi or my 05 VW TDI. It is so clear when you first change the oil it is hard to see on the dip stick. The guy I bought it from put a engine in it recently.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The brake fluid could be leaking into the vacuum power brake booster. As for the clean oil....:dunno Never ever have I seen that. these engines make lots of blowby which causes soot to get past the rings. that causes the oil to turn black. After you change the oil what type are you using. Any diesel must use only a diesel rated engine oil. anything is better than nothing but the diesel rated oil has the wear protectants in it plus. Its a very high detergent oil...

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil

I use Rotella T non-syn, which is the same oil in my other 1994 idi, and the oil in that truck is black after the first start. Strange.....this truck has not had the oil changed in the last 3 months and it is still clear, just a little black oil at the very tip of the dipstick.

Thanks for the info, I will remove the master and check.

Master is good, it is leaking right next to the fuel tank transfer switch, which I thought was a diesel leak. Of course the brake fluid caused the diesel lines/seals to leak. Since this is a parts truck I will just block off the rear brake line and only use the rear tank.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found the leak. Make sure your the only person driving this rig on the farm. Or if another person drives it tell them it doesn't have any rear brakes...:sly