Box/tuner for a 2001 Dodge 2500 Auto

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an 01 Cummins 4x4. Already has a good 4" turbo back exhaust and will have guages shortly but he would like to get a good box for some more power and also a little fuel mileage if possible. I am an IDI guy, so the Cummins is new to me, if you guys could point out some of the good ones, I would appreciate it. He is not going to upgrade his tranny, which is the 47re, so it needs to be a mild box or at least adjustable so he does not destroy his truck. He just had his lift pump replaced, so he "should" be good for a little while. It is his daily driver and weekend puller for his Jeep and trailer so it does get some towing use. Thanks for the help guys. Scotty

MLR

Reaction score
I would have to recommend the Edge EZ, it is a great little box. However if he ever plans on upgrading the trans and power. I would have to go with the Edge Comp and not tap the pump until the trans is addressed.

My $.02
Max

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
Edge EZ, or a Comp box, I would reccomend the Comp and leave the pump wire untapped for the time being. He will upgrade the tranny to handle the power at some point and get the performance bug. It hasn't failed to happen yet.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
beretzs,

Get either the Edge EZ or the van Aaken module. The van Aaken has a little better off idle torque if he tows and it's a little less money too! Call us if you have any questions we stock them both etc.

Mark @ DPPI

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles are on his truck? that will tell you whether he needs a plug in or a comp box.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has about 55K miles or so on the truck. We have been deployed together alot the last few years, so the miles have came pretty slowly for him. Thanks for the good word on the tuners and such. Scotty

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the cmp even though they are illegal in cali. Mine isn't tapped yet because I still have a warrenty on the I/P. It is the same as the EZ when not tapped. He will want to upgrade the valvebody atleast if he does anything more. If he gets bitten by the bug then he will need the valvebody upgrade ;Really . I know you said he is getting gauges, get F/p, trans temp at the minimum., See ya :popcorn

LIPD

Owner LIPD & Fuel
Reaction score
go with edge ez or quad xzt if your looking for millage also.

justinp20012500

Reaction score
I second the comp. Just don't tap the wire.

Without the wire tapped he will have the exact same thing as an EZ, just not all the smoke and fun of a comp.

Justin

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still get smoke without the tap. If you turn up the fuel level it will smoke more then if it is on a lower level. See ya

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i've seen, i personally like the edge e-z, no fuel system upgrades needed...no gauges needed either, the comp is way too much for that trans. and wire tap will void the warranty. just my 2 cents

Hohn

Reaction score
Get a Comp and dangle the wire. Tap it when you're ready. There's just no way to have better options at a lower price.

I'm pursuing a VA/TST stack, myself:)

jeeptjstud

Reaction score
what are you meaning by tapping the wire? is there a wire that runs to the fuel? I am interested in a comp, I have a 99 cummins that has a ATS upgraded auto in it? could I tap the wire???????? does the comp produce more black smoke with the wire tapped??

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tapping the wire on the injector pump gives you more settings up to 250 ft/lb and 120 hp at the wheels. Without tapping the wire you get 60hp and 150 ft/lb. If you tap the wire then it will void the warrenty that I have left. Once the warrenty is up the wire is tapped. And yes the tap gives you a lot more smoke. It will give you more smoke without it tapped as well.See ya :popcorn