Bought new pump from Ford. Is this a Carter pump?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hope this isn't old news! :eek:

I'm due for a new lift pump. (I currently have the dogleg arm pump with Pierce stamped on it). I figured the best new mechanical I can get for this engine is the OEM Ford unit so I ordered one a few days ago.

Today I get the pump and I'm really starting to second guess myself. Didn't Fords come with Carter pumps? I know the arms changed over the years but this one looks just like the typical Airtex/Delphi/Spectre/Napa etc that are readily available at all the parts stores. Did Carter make this style as well? Is this what came on my truck new? I was thinking this was the crappy one that dumps fuel into the engine when it fails or do both styles do that?

It was $78 from my local Ford dealer. I returned it. I can buy this style of pump at all the local parts stores for $25 or less.

Starting to think I'll just go electric..

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last one I bought from ford 4 yrs ago had an IH number etched on the wide side of the casting
All mechanical pumps can put fuel into the crankcase, it doesnt happen that often. Usually spits out the vent hole first

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and feedback everyone. I needed the truck this weekend so I picked up a Delphi mechanical pump from AutoZone. Truck builds more boost now.. Seems to have a little more power too. Guess my old pump was getting weak :dunno

Anyway I'm going electric as soon as I can.