Bought My First Diesel! 6.9

FilthyCatfish

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up my 1985 F250 4x4 (150K miles) with the 6.9 and 4 speed manual trans. This is my first diesel truck; the closest thing I've owned is a 1990 F150 with the 302...if you can even call that close. Mechanically she seems in good shape and runs fairly well. The previous owner had the rear differential and axle swapped out with one from a newer truck, other than that she is stock. Since I got her I've changed the fuel and air filter and picked up some Rotella T 15/40 and filter for an oil change. I plan on changing trans and front diff fluid next weekend. PO said glowplugs, wires, and control unit <--? were recently replaced. You guys think there's anything else I should address right off the bat? Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to learning from you guys.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pull out a glowplug and make sure it isn't an autolite brand. If it is, change them all with bosch or motorcraft glowplugs. Autolites will swell up and cause serious damage. I would also check coolant to make sure it's in good shape. If not, change it out with a good quality coolant and add SCA if not already added. I would also check for fuel leaks around injectors/return line. Fuel leaks can cause air to get into system and cause hard starting when engine is cold. Check lift pump (passenger side of engine) to make sure it isn't dripping any fuel. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. Goodluck and welcome to the site! Nice rig too

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Personally Im of the opinion that if you dont know the service history on the injectors and injection pump and its got 100k+ miles to go ahead and replace those as well (not all that cheap though), but then again Im also the guy that will change timing belts/ water pump, spark plugs etc on a "new" used gas engine as well (but havnt gotten around to changing the slipping cllutch and worn shocks on my DD sports car...) and of course thats in addition to the above

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Nice looking rig!!! You are on the right track, keep on with the simple maintenance. I'd proceed with a fuel filter and air filter as well. If the injectors are grey, chances are they may be origionals. I'd run it until issues appear. Look in the tech articles, the oil cooler seals are a common maintenence item, as are pump and injectors at around 150,000 miles. Yours may or may not have been replaced already.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site very nice rig. Not really run some fuel system cleaner in the tank or a quart of ATF and that should clean up the system. If if runs fine drive it but replace by 200k ip an injectors

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOVE the paint. That body and paint is my favorite hands down. (My first vehicle was a blue 83 f150, the only one i ever regret selling)

jtt220

Reaction score
I agree, that's my favorite color combo too. My dad had a gasser of the same combo when I was a kid. I remember riding in the bed to church on Sundays! Great looking rig, hang on to that one!!

FilthyCatfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys! I feel much better going through the truck with some outside knowledge. I noticed today that the A/C compressor belt is missing (you can see it in the pic). I'm assuming its gone because the compressor is bad but who knows. A/C isn't a huge deal up here. The only other thing I've noticed is an occasional metal on metal grinding sound after I let off the clutch while driving. It only lasts 1-2 seconds but sounded out of place to me. Seems to be coming from the transmission. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with that being said, I would check the trans oil, gearbox oil, and diff gear oil and be prepared to change them all. That's a start. I would check this ASAP before that grinding noise turns into a snap lol. If all check out okay, there are plenty others that can help pinpoint the problem you are having. Just make sure those moving parts are getting the oil they need.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice truck man. I rescued my 85 6.9 Diesel from a farm. I've done some research on these engines and it looks like 85 is about the best year for the 6.9. This should run solidly for a long time so long as its maintained. Another thing to remember is that modern low sulphur diesel fuel isn't good for these older injection systems, it doesn't lubricate squat. You probably want to look into running some additive in the form of TC-W3 2 stroke oil to give the injection system some proper lubrication. Usually 500ml/tank does the trick. You'll see much quieter injectors and injector pump both of which should last you a long time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is a copy of My 84 f250 only missing all the rust LOL . It is good to know what it looked like before.
I would make sure the glow plugs are motorcraft/beru glow plugs.
The metal to metal I don't know but if it sounds like that after You release the clutch I would look at the TO bearing and also the dual mass flywheel if there is one on this truck.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great truck!!! Welcome to the site. You will find the best, most knowledgeable people here. Do not be afraid to ask anything (just search it 1st as most has already been covered somewhere). These guys got me back up to speed after over 30 yrs away from diesels.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points by everyone else, so will just welcome you aboard, and compliment the nice truck!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Add mine to the welcomes, FilthyCatFish. Awesome bunch of diesel dudes on here. Have learned a TON of useful stuff from these 'Burners.

Mighty nice truck there. My neighbor had a faded similar '86. That dash looks to be in great shape. Must've spent some time in a cozy garage.