bought a 6.0 today. should i be worried?

iowaSVT

Reaction score
The 7.3's are ridiculously priced around here. I looked at a 02 extended cab. Thing had a 6 position chip and was beat to death, the torque converter was just begging for mercy and they still wanted 13k for it. I picked this beauty up for 15, and the interior is mint. People hear the horror story's so no one wants them. I still love mine.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
tomorrow when i am on wi-fi at school i will upload some good pdf manuals for the 6.0l.

also, if you would like, you can PM me your email and i will try to email you some factory shop manuals for the 6.0l tomorrow.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The 7.3's are ridiculously priced around here. I looked at a 02 extended cab. Thing had a 6 position chip and was beat to death, the torque converter was just begging for mercy and they still wanted 13k for it. I picked this beauty up for 15, and the interior is mint. People hear the horror story's so no one wants them. I still love mine.

oh yeah that is the same what it is around here. people still want like 15K for a decent 7.3L that is in good shape and rust free, but is not worth any were close to 15K. you(and you did) might as well get a 6.0L for a bit less than a comparable 7.3L. you can probly bullet proof the 6.0l and still be money ahead of getting an older 7.3L. your also getting a new truck when you get a 6.0l

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Dude that would be great, thanks! Yeah my parts cost for everything was around 1300, if i had the time to shop around i could probably save 300.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at 6.0's before my Dmax, banker only like to loan on certain yr models so 7.3's are out. 6.0's make great power and are fun to drive, you just have to fix them right first...

Good idea getting the $ back from the warrenty, that money goes along way toward bullet proofing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like them also. And definitely wouldn't be scared of buying one.
I like to go test driving vehicles when I get bored. Lol

Anyways one had the cold "stiction" thing. But once it warmed up, it ran great. It was pretty low mileage also. Like 130k for $12k. It was loaded and 4x4 also.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most of them are, but I still see the cheaper ones.
I think people get scared of them, then try for a quick sale and drop the price. LOL

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an 03 6.0 close to me for sale that I have contemplated getting. It's a black f-350 extended cab dually, w/ leather, that according to the ad is hydrolocked. The guys is only asking $5600 for it and supposedly has new injectors and a new turbo. So, I figure by going the bulletproof route with head studs, new oil cooler, ficm, egr, etc., that I'd probably have around 11-12k in it counting shop labor. Does that sound about right? And with it being hydrolocked should all the fixes be from the heads upward? In other words, could I expect piston or cylinder wall damage? This truck only has 120k miles on it too. Any clue if this seems like it could be a pretty good buy?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if he stopped trying to crank it at first sign on h-lock then the lower end "should" be good, but if he kept trying to crank it over then there is a possibility of bent rods.

if in fact all it would take for that truck to be back on the road is taking the heads off and resealing it then it would be a hell of a deal, but it is too much risk in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online