Boost line mod to Fool the ECM?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
This was mentioned in another thread & I don't remember which one. What do I need & how do I install it to keep the check engine light from lighting under heavy boost?

Also sorta related. Swamps told me I have a low boost issue. I'm putting out around 27-29 psi on the extreme setting. What are some of you guys making for boost? I thought I was doing ok with those #'s. Of course more would be great.....without hurting stuff.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Check out this product to eliminate your overboost condition.

As far as total boost, you do sound low. I have noproblems at all hitting 35-37 psi boost in my TOW mode. twildman chip and Beans Stg I's.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Based on what I read, it sounds like that will cure the SES light.

Any thoughts on the low boost numbers? David @ swamps told me to check my exhaust joints for leaks, which I did & found none. The other thing he suggested was welding the wastegate shut or wiring it shut. He told me about a truck they had there that was opening the waste gate @ 3lbs. When I did my compressor wheel I did the pedestal mod & EBPV mod and then put on a 60,000 mile turbo from my buddies '02. (He put on a BB turbo @ 60,000 miles). I figured that was a better idea than putting a 150,000 mile turbo back on.

Where else do you lose boost?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really are setting the SES light due to overboost, the PCM defuels the engine at +25psi so you really arent losing boost. You just dont have the fuel to make it.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
best bet is 4.7 volt zener diode, taps into the middle wire on the map sensor.
IMHO works better than the boost tube.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
What does the diode do? I mean how does it help with what the PCM sees as overboosting?

pafixitman

Reaction score
I take a stab at this...

The map sensor is measuring the manifold pressure and supply a "signal" (via voltage) to the computer. This in turn regulates how much fuel is supplied. By using a Zener diode, you are regulating the voltage to 4.7 (anything higher is supplied in reverse).

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
ok. I might give that a try. Whats special about a Zener diode, or will any diode work. Don't know much about electronic stuff like this.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I don't think so. Reason being the computer is taking a voltage and "converts" that to a psi reading. The higher the voltage, the higher the psi reading. Call Baynesville Electronics on Joppa Road (@ Loch Raven Blvd). I'll bet a cold one they have it in stock.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't think so. Reason being the computer is taking a voltage and "converts" that to a psi reading. The higher the voltage, the higher the psi reading. Call Baynesville Electronics on Joppa Road (@ Loch Raven Blvd). I'll bet a cold one they have it in stock.

Didn't even think of them!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online