Boost Issues............Maybe

rmckee242

Reaction score
This may not be anything but thought I would ask just in case. Put a boost gauge on my 97 Powerstroke last week. Noticed when I really get into it the gauge flutters within about a three pound or so range when it hits about fifeteen pounds and continues until boost drops below that. The truck is all stock except for air filter and exhasut. It runs fine and no problems pulling my 14 foot enclosed trailer loaded. Have several friends that rebuilt turbos at 250,000 just because somebody told them it was a good idea. My clock shows 235,000. Just wondering if that is one sign I may need to think about rebuilding the turbo. If that is the case any thoughts on what to put back in it. I would like to spool a little faster than the stock turbo but don't want to break the bank either.

Learnin sumthin new every day..................

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the flutter is simply a function of the mechanical boost gauge. Nothing to worry about at all. Pull your turbo inlet hose and check the compressor wheel for any signs of contact with the housings, pull on the shaft to check for end play, spin it and check for stiffness or sticky spots... if all is good your turbo is good. For a faster spool you'll need to change exhaust side housing from the stock 1.15 down to the 1.0 or .84 housing.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Turbo seems good. I take it that I can change the exhaust side housing and get what I am looking for without changing the compressor wheel or anything. Also whetre wuold be the best place (most cost effective) to look for the different housing.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Most of the aftermarket suppliers have the the turbine housings for cheap, and as long as you have the turbo apart, take a die grinder and some rolls to the compressor housing (inside) and give it a good polishing. Does work, no real money spent, just time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online