bolt pattern for wheels will chevys work??

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some GM 8 lug 16.5x8 rims locally for real cheap to put some military tires on, will they work for our axles?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I found some GM 8 lug 16.5x8 rims locally for real cheap to put some military tires on, will they work for our axles?

Stock wheels? Or aftermarket wheels that were on a chevy?

If stock? NO

Aftermarket? YES

As stated above. 16.5 tires are getting harder to find, other than those military tires but you will need at least 4" of lift to clear them

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can find tons of 16.5 mud tires around here but cant find a decent set of 16s to save my life.

All I seem to find are 16.5, 17,18, and 20s.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original GM wheels are the same bolt-pattern as FORD and DODGE = 8-on-6-1/2".

GM center-holes have always been about 1/4" too small to clear the FORD or DODGE hub, as GM wheels have always been hub-centric, whereas FORD and DODGE wheels were lug-centric.

Most aftermarket wheels dis-regard GMs hub-centricity and simply make one wheel with a center-hole that fits over all, which is why many GM owners are never really quite satisfied with the ride quality of aftermarket wheels.

:puke: So far as the 16.5s go, I would not have them as a free gift; they are more trouble than they are worth, even if they were plentiful. :puke:

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help fellas, I just found some 16" aluminums off my grandfathers old f250, he had a 84 6.9, I'm trying to find some used tires to put on, most of the stuff im finding is for 15" wheels

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I can find tons of 16.5 mud tires around here but cant find a decent set of 16s to save my life.

All I seem to find are 16.5, 17,18, and 20s.

Thats all i run on my trucks are 16's just because i can buy a brand new set of mud tires for 500 bucks in a 315/75/16.

So. Fla.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats all i run on my trucks are 16's just because i can buy a brand new set of mud tires for 500 bucks in a 315/75/16.

So. Fla.

where are you finding these tires for that price?

and couldnt I just grind out the inside of the center hole to make them fit over my axle for the gm wheels

I have my 16's but now cant afford a new set of muds for 16" wheels but keep finding used mud tires for cheap but to fit 16.5"

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

and couldnt I just grind out the inside of the center hole to make them fit over my axle for the gm wheels

I have my 16's but now cant afford a new set of muds for 16" wheels but keep finding used mud tires for cheap but to fit 16.5"

there ya go http://www.amazon.com/75R-16-Pro-Comp-Radial-Terrain/dp/B002ARXRX8 under $500. ...................................................................O wait. you want 4 tires:rotflmao

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I own a repair shop, thats my wholesale cost on tires.

4 nankang mudstars 315/75/R16 for 500. Only gripe is they are load range D but seem to be wearing fairly well as i already have 10K on the tires and they look new. Was origonally gonna put a set of Kumho KL78 all terrains on my crew cab F350 because of the price but the mud terrains were cheaper.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you try to have them balanced after grinding the center it will have to be done with a balancer that centers of the lug holes in the rims. Been there, Done that, Don't want to repeat it. Had to take my tires to one shop all the time to have them balanced after I ground out the center of one of my rims on my suburban so it wouldn't stick on the hub. Two months later had Ford rims all the way around the truck and scrapped the original GM rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online