Body lift!?

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried a few times and can not get my answer threw search but I'm positive this has been discussed before.
Can someone tell me why all the body lift kits for a 92 f250 say "not compatible with diesel"???
Is it something I can make work?
This would really help with some clearance in my engine bay

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do recall reading something about body lifts and diesel trucks being bad, but I think it was mostly **** covering statements. I have been running a 3 inch body lift on my truck for about 3 years now, and it hasn't caused me any issues that wouldn't also happen with a gasser. Maybe things are different with the newer diesels that have more electronics in them? I am sure someone else will chime in.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well all I read is something about the engine will hit the fire wall but I'm putting a cummins 12v so I wouldn't have that problem. Might just get me some spacers and run with it

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own an off-road shop and sell parts like this. The only reason they say "Not compatatble with diesel" is because they didn't design it for them, therefore, they did not recommend installing one. It will work, however, you may have to make some of your own brackets for the fan shroud and such if it were a stock truck. I understand you are changing to a cummins so you will have plenty of fabrication.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, with a three inch body lift the head corners will contact the firewall lip/crease. IIRC, the drivers side is the issue.

I've run a 2 inch (homemade) on my F250 for years without issue.

Heath

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" "not for diesel" body lift on mine. The drivers side head contacted the firewall and would have made a nasty vibration, but 15 minutes with a crowbar bent it back enough that it hasn't made contact since even off road. I cut the bottom of the fan shroud, and still don't like how my shifter boot fits, and extended the steering shaft with a machined piece that was included.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered a kit and ill have it in next week some time.
Relocating my fan shroud or cutting the bottom out I no problem

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" "not for diesel" body lift on mine. The drivers side head contacted the firewall and would have made a nasty vibration, but 15 minutes with a crowbar bent it back enough that it hasn't made contact since even off road. I cut the bottom of the fan shroud, and still don't like how my shifter boot fits, and extended the steering shaft with a machined piece that was included.

Do you have any pics of how you cut the fan shroud? Or would it work better to drop it down

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I bought an '88 IDI with two 2" spacers stacked. It works fine, but I plan to pull one of the spacers out as I don't need that much lift.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of how you cut the fan shroud? Or would it work better to drop it down
Don't think so but I'll look. I just cut as much of the bottom as needed, which is most of it. Really easy since its plastic. I would definitely want one, as the fan on our trucks looks stout as a submarine propeller to me.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What cables need to be extended for a 3" body lift? I've read that the parking brake may be an issue and I'm assuming there may be a problem with the speedometer cable. Are there part#'s of cables to order that are longer to make up the difference?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
holy revived thread! there should be enough slack in both cables. the speedo cable has a clamp on the frame rail that may need to be adjusted to give you a little more. biggest issues are stated above; shifters, fan shroud, and driverside head hitting firewall.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy revived thread! there should be enough slack in both cables. the speedo cable has a clamp on the frame rail that may need to be adjusted to give you a little more. biggest issues are stated above; shifters, fan shroud, and driverside head hitting firewall.

I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question.

Copy all. I finally put the spacers under it and can say the head definitely hits. I'll order a stock speedo cable and see on the paring brake. I need to fix a couple cracks in the firewall too.