Blue smoke white smoke

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On start up getting some blue smoke some white smoke and when it clears up in a few seconds. When I rev the motor up a little when the engine is coming back to idle speed I'm getting some blue smoke. Runs great new pump and injectors, I think a couple glow plugs need changed and that Will clear up the white smoke on start up but I wonder about the blue smoke could be?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your truck smoke like this before the IP & injector replacement? If so, the smoke your seeing is probably from worn valve guides, valve stem seals or piston rings.
Did you time your engine after the swap?

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... When I rev the motor up a little when the engine is coming back to idle speed I'm getting some blue smoke....

A lot of things can cause this. I recently noticed that my timing caused blue/white smoke - thought having every good compression on all cylinders.

See the quote: Bad valve guides are noticeable when the rpm goes down. In that case engine is sucking and IF valve "guides" [there are none on Navistar engines] are loose/with ware the engine sucks the oil in that inside the valve train + cdr oil. So I think its for sure this kind of failure.

I would check compression, a relatively easy and cheap job. Maybe coolant compression test IF there was something nonususal coming up.

If its only after start - it shouldn´t be a big issue

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine Got timed by Oregon fuel injection they set it to 4 or5 degrees because they said that's best setting they have found and I'm thinking it may be too retarded once it's warm the blue smoke is little to none. I'm hoping it's not valve guides or rings. I'm worried maybe I pushed my motor too far, this motor sees 20psi sometimes and has a 90cc pump that puts out 105cc. Stock internals with 180xxx pump and stage 1 injectors have been on about 4K now. CDr valve and intake have quite a bit of oil in them also

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Were they thinking of a 6.9? That seems quite a bit retarded for a 7.3 to me. I'd set it to 8.5 or 9 degrees and see if your smoke clears up.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were they thinking of a 6.9? That seems quite a bit retarded for a 7.3 to me. I'd set it to 8.5 or 9 degrees and see if your smoke clears up.

Doesn't matter if it's a 6.9 or 7.3 idi. The recommended timing here on OB is 8.5 btdc give or take.
You could try advancing it a little & see what happens.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was always told that a 6.9 was 3.5 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees at 1300 rpm. a 7.3 was 8.5 degrees plus or minus two degrees at 2000 rpm. That was supposed to have been from International. I never questioned it. Maybe it works out the same. I don't know. Maybe I was told wrong.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin at r and d also recommended 5' btdc also, I wonder if I can take my truck back to the shop and see if they will set it again for free to 6 or 7 I know I want it to e a little retarded because it helped spool the 088 ats a little better than 9 degrees did when I drove it to the shop that day. They told me it was better like that because it dpesnt blow as much black smoke but I control that with my foot I know I have a little too much fuel for my setup lol

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I just bumped timing up on old red. It was easy peasy. The PO left the third nut lose under the throttle

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've adjusted the timing many times before by myself but I like knowing the number it's at but have no meter so I paid a shop to do it when I bought my new pump from r and d so I knew where it's at for best performance, I'm gonna call and see if they will re time it for me free since I don't think I like where it's at now I think it could be causing my smoking issues being harder to start with it so btdc now