Block Drain Plug Help

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to install one of those tank type block heaters on my truck. I'm stuck on the pulling a block drain plug. Can't figure out what to turn the thing with. I have tried using a quarter inch drive but it just turns inside the plug and three eighths is to big.:puke: I'm at a loss :confused:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You want to heat the coolant in the block then You just need to buy one for this engines at the parts store and You just have to replace one freeze plug to fit the heater inside the block, it is the last (rear) one on the pass side if I remember well.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Do you mean the one on the drivers side above the oil filter? Think I used a 9/16s with an extention & a 1/2 ratchet.
Word of warning though before you pull it out make sure you have something to catch all that coolant & no powertools or lights are around. Don't ask how I know...:mad:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Looks like you got lucky on that one mine does not even have a hex head its just got a square recess in it. I think a quarter inch drive may have worked but they round the corners on those things so it did not grab.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a torch? Heat that thing up might be the only way to remove it. It should be 1/4", I tired getting mine out with a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter in an impact driver and it broke off. Believe me they are in there tight.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ended up taking a short 3/8 extension and grinding it down till it just barely fit. Knocked that in with a hammer and gave it a twist and snap. Broke off right flush with the plug. I ended up using the drain on the back of the oil cooler instead. I just hope it works! Had I known it was going to be this much trouble I would have just got a lower radiator hose heater.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If You want to heat the coolant in the block then You just need to buy one for this engines at the parts store and You just have to replace one freeze plug to fit the heater inside the block, it is the last (rear) one on the pass side if I remember well.

EZ, he has an 84' and knows better than to use the block heater.

As for the block drains, those and the oil port plugs can all be hell to try and get out. In later years, they used brass or some other material for plugs. But in those early years, they were steel, and they pretty much become a permenent part of the block, as you now have discovered. A proper 4 point socket is the only tool that has a chance of getting it out, but the usual result is what you experienced. A good soaking with PB Blaster for weeks in advance is the best hope of getting one out.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yeah I soaked it with PB blaster a few days before trying to get it out. I even heated it up with a torch but nothing did any good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well sometimes drilling a hole in the plug will release some of the holding tension and let you remove the plug. It sounds like you have the plug with the recess in it for the extension hex in it. Yes, those are tuff getting them out. Try drilling an 1/8 inch hole it it but remember the coolant is behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online