Block cracks and heaters?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 2 block heaters. I've read about the 6.9's cracking from the block heaters.Can I use them and not worry about the thing breaking the block? I've never had a truck with them before. Can I leave them on all night since I don't want to get up @3am to plug it in.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
What year is it? 1985.5 was when the block was updated and afterwards no problems with cracking blocks.

If your an early '85 and older, I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth it.

Get a circulation pump/heater that plumbs into the heater lines. Works so much better than any block heater anyways!

Heavy truck places would have those.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
We need more info on your truck. What year and what engine. the early 6.9 blocks mid 85 and earlier had cracking issues. You can find out excatly when you engine was built by the serial number stamped to the right of the IP

I use a lower rad hose coolant heater in my early 6.9 block.. I even went as far as removing the block heater so it can't be plugged in by mistake.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 87. We are having a freek cold storm blow through. Got down to +10F which is absolutly frigid for here. I had pipes break at home and spent the day pounding core plugs into customers cars while ice water was dripping on me and sliding on ice. Had no running water at the shop due to the main pipe from the street to the building being frozen!

Anyway the 6.9L started right up but it takes a long time for 8 gallons of coolant to warm up so I don't get nice and warm on my 6 mile commute.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that warm hear. Why do you need to plug it in does it not want to start. Mine starts up ok in the negative temperatures

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that warm hear. Why do you need to plug it in does it not want to start. Mine starts up ok in the negative temperatures
It starts fine. I'm the one that cold since it does not start putting out nice warm heat until I pull into work. Has a new IHC195 stat. Just takes a long time to get 8 gallons of coolant warm

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I study up on this block heater, cracked block issue? I did a search and didn't find a good explanation. Thanks.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It starts fine. I'm the one that cold since it does not start putting out nice warm heat until I pull into work. Has a new IHC195 stat. Just takes a long time to get 8 gallons of coolant warm

I just replaced my aftermarket thermostat with the motorcraft stat a few weeks ago. When I would drive my 7 mile journey to work in the morning (approx 28 degrees out lately), the engine would not even come close to warming up to full operating temperature with the aftermarket stat in. With the correct stat in, now the engine fully warms up in about 3 miles. I am very impressed......heater works alot better too!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be expensive to run it all night. Just put it on a timer to run for an hour or two before you leave. Heater draws exactly a kilowatt, so presuming a per-kWh rate of $0.16, you're wasting a dollar for every six hours you run it more than you need it.

Is there a TSB on this? Anything about engine numbers, or other way to identify? Mfg date, etc. won't mean jack in my case; truck was built in Dec. 1984, but it has a Dealers Diesel crate engine in it from the mid-'90s. Thre's gotta be some distinguishing characteristic....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online