BLOCK Core plugs

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've come to think that the factory manufactured engines, have one type of plug for core plugs and what we get from Ford or maybe IHI but don't know about IHI are different.

The factory plugs in every engine I've got...all have what I call nippled dimples...there is a small bump outward 1/4" dia bump or smaller outward in the middle of the inward dimples of our core plugs.

Aftermarket or replacement ones like on this replacement engine I've got here appear to be nipple free, even the Ford plugs in the bag are just plain no nipples..

Anyone seen this? Here is what I mean by aftermarket NIPPLESS dimples see the plug on the right?
You must be registered for see images attach

Here you can see the same damn shot with a nippled dimple...Hmm
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyone ever notice this or am I out there?cookoo:rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Out there by a long ways Al...;Really:sly:angel:
Actually what your looking at is a specially designed factory tool that makes that appearance punch mark in the plugs. You can design a punch to make the same thing but I'm not thinking its needed. If you want that nipple looking dimple then get a profile of it and have a punch made up from your freeze plug tool. Probably the easiest way of getting a profile is to cut a plug in half that has this nipple in it. The hard part is getting it out of the block without changing it. Might drill and tap a 5/16 threaded hole and use a slide hammer to extract the freeze plug from the block.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Mr 1 finger GMM hand model...you are doing quite well with typing up responses and I see your sense of humor is still completely intact too!

I had wondered that, however I'm still uncertain about it.

Now do you see what I see in regards to a possible reman engine? Core plugs no block heater...clean block and wicking oil up pan rail of block...engine block is spotless...transmission was atrociously filthy...pan is filthy.... BLACK painted heads...All points to some type of short bock installed with old tinwork and different heads...whats yer take Gary?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.

Thats my short answer Al...:angel::sly I think I can actually see the oil pan gasket sticking out. Put that block on a stand. Flip it over and clean, clean it. then clean it again. Goo it up with RTV and press it together. Never ever worry about a pan leak again. I saw a utube video of a shop on the east coast repairing an rusted out psd oil pan in frame. The guy ground off all the rust and fake ass welding goo he could with a sanding wheel. All the oil was drained. They had a boot made of fiberglass of the pan. Now the trick. They applied a shop vac to the oil fill on the valve cover. Then they washed the pan once more. Painted it with epoxy and stuck the fiberglass boot on it. Waited for it to cure and removed the shop vac suction. Supposed to keep the oil from leaking back out into the finish product. I do not recommend this fix but its an idea to get a few more miles out of something.