Blinking overdrive light... again

3day240sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen many "my OD light on my shifter is blinking" but I haven't seen one that was in a 90 or 91 that the light is on the dash. Will the pre 92 blink down on the dash and shift hard or do they just fart and stop pulling in OD?

Thanks

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking if your trannie is an e40d then it is the same. i could be wrong.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The '90 has a switch and light on the dash to take it in and out of OD. The later ones have it on the shifter (not sure the exact year).

sootman73

Reaction score
do not flush an auto trans. especially if you dont know its entire service history. drop the pan, clean it, replace filter, put new RUBBER gasket on. flushing can potentially burn the trans up in under two weeks. the new detergent in the new fluid will pick up whatever is in the pan and send up through the trans and clutches. not worth the risk to save a little time...... plus the cost difference is minimal.

3day240sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew about not flushing a trans if it had more then 30k miles on it without a flush but never knew the exact reasoning so thank you for the details. This has been a lot of help. Thanks every one.

Captain

Reaction score
Thought I would chime in here.

Regarding trans flushing. I have seen where the only way to successfully flush a 7.3 or any one for that matter is to first do a complete pan and fluid change making sure everything on the bottom end is clean.

Then some transmission shops have a portable outside fluid pump and filter machine that continuously circulates and filters the new fluid change over and over again until the fluid flow is checked for complete cleanliness.

So with this capability flushing should be a big plus. If anyone reasons otherwise I would like to know their basis for that opinion.

Thanks

Captain Dave