Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please carefully walk us all through exactly how in the friggin world an engine running away has ZERO impact on a vehicle crashing into something????? I've raced a lot of stuff and had many different rigs, driven lots of things in lots of situations. I've had throttles stick wide open on me with engines with lots of power and guess what? There's a friggin clutch, a shifter, a brake and a key switch any one of which except the brake pedal will stop the situation in .2 seconds. The clutch pedal stops a vehicle instantly as does the shifter on an auto.

The problem with runamay diesels is that even after you turn the key off, the engine stays running and rpm's keep climbing. The brakes wouldn't stop an automatic in a runaway situation, the only thing that stops them is when they blow up. A 6.0 around ran up to approximately 12,000 rpm's before it was fried

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with runamay diesels is that even after you turn the key off, the engine stays running and rpm's keep climbing. The brakes wouldn't stop an automatic in a runaway situation, the only thing that stops them is when they blow up. A 6.0 around ran up to approximately 12,000 rpm's before it was fried

I don't follow this one bit. Diesel runaway is something you have to either accept or add an intake cutoff to prevent it. If you don't have anything to stop the engine if it does runaway how in the hell does it cause you to crash? Yes, the bottom of the engine will come apart, but that's something you had better be prepared for- shift the tranny into nuetral or park or push in the clutch and let it go if you don't have an intake flapper. An engine is easily replaceable.

The other problem with runaway diesels is the shutoff lever won't do a thing in most situations.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, I wasn't saying crashing goes along with a runaway diesel, but I guess people panic and forget to get it out of gear. I cant say I wouldn't panic. It happened to a friend recently on a cummins and he just put it in sixth, dumped the clutch and killed it at about 10 mph. Motor was fried

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got to drive the truck tonite... after i blew the intercooler boot off of it twice i realized that the clamp was bottoming out before it got completly tight...:mad:

anyway i will have some vids and pics tomorrow......... after i do some tidy'n up under the hood

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
You too huh? I got to pull mine in an out of the shop tonite, so I know the feeling.
Congratulations on getting it to the point of driving, cant wait to see the pics. :D

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI owners take a note here check your oil return line from the turbo

All you IDI owners take note here. Your oil return line from the turbo to the valley pan is almost always the main cause of major oil leaks. :hail

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I know, I wasn't saying crashing goes along with a runaway diesel, but I guess people panic and forget to get it out of gear. I cant say I wouldn't panic. It happened to a friend recently on a cummins and he just put it in sixth, dumped the clutch and killed it at about 10 mph. Motor was fried

You can kill a runaway diesel by holding the holy hell out of the brakes and pop the clutch in third or fourth

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a couple pics...

here you can see my intercooler right behind the grill, pretty much all the plastic behind the grill had to be removed

and looky here... a cummins

you can here some brand C power here http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/dukedrummer89/?action=view&current=012-3.flv

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
duke,

you are gonna have to ease up on the espresso till after you take pictures! :lol:

This guy is the poster child for the proper use of caffeine! How long did it take to do the swap? Good on ya. Keep up the good work.

When you get the vids up, be sure to do a good smoky goat burnout, with stacks on fire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online