Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
hey sounds like your well on your way on your swap...nice!

I've been looking into this swap for my truck for a while and would be done if it wasnt for the damed economy...lol

The wiring is very easy for the most part... the only troublesome thing is the tach. The only solution I have found that I think will work with the factory tach is this:http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd129.htm

I've read and seen some other ways around the tach issue but I think this might be the best way. A bit pricey but probably worth it if you want to keep the factory gauges.

keep us updated

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
when your done can you break it down price wise so others interested in this swap can get an estimate on what it will cost.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of progress

Air dog mounted
You must be registered for see images attach

Motor sitting the truck

Time to make motor mounts:sly

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. My engine overhaul was under 3 grand (canadian) and that included $800 for a set of reman heads.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you must really want that cummins.

ive been on craigslist alot, ive sold about 3k worth of parts that I have almost no money in.... so i really will have only about 1-1500 out of my pocket... its not that i wanted a cummins, i just wanted at least 400 horse, almost impossible with an idi

plus cummins performance parts are cheap;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how much you are going to spend on this because I keep hearing how cheap it is to swap to a cummins and make big power.

Hope you can afford it because it will be a nice truck by the time you finish it (but they never really are finished, now are they?)

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how much you are going to spend on this because I keep hearing how cheap it is to swap to a cummins and make big power.

Hope you can afford it because it will be a nice truck by the time you finish it (but they never really are finished, now are they?)

i think your hearing people talk from people who have never done a cummins swap... then again what is your definition of cheap

4 grand isnt cheap to me, probably more than my truck is actually worth... plus im getting parts from work at dealer pricing. If i actually had to pay retail im sure it would be like 5k total.... (and i feel i got a good deal on the motor, complete for 1300)

they are "cheap" to mod compared to everything else

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I wish you were closer. I would LOVE to have some more spare IDI parts.

SWS

kyle'sw350

kyle'sw350
Reaction score
You're going to be really happy with this when it is all done, and $1,300.00 for a P-PUMP is a great deal. Their is a bunch of guys on cumminsforum.com that have done this swap and have a lot of good information on performance stuff and tricks they did to get there stuff done.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to be really happy with this when it is all done, and $1,300.00 for a P-PUMP is a great deal. Their is a bunch of guys on cumminsforum.com that have done this swap and have a lot of good information on performance stuff and tricks they did to get there stuff done.

perhaps i will make an account over there...

i also ordered engine mounts today from ford-cummins.com... i got fed up trying to make some "custom" mounts and trying to get the engine to sit level with the truck sitting in a dirt floor barn. I had heard some bad things about ford-cummins, mainly there poor quality adapter plates, but i will reserve my judgement until i get my mounts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online