Bleeding air after new return lines

jlwoods99

Reaction score
So just finished return lines correct me if I'm wrong. When cranking your engine over your ip pumps x number of cc's of fuel ,how does bleeding the air make it happen any faster if it just pumps and bleeds to the fuel tank. Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I don't see bleeding the air any faster.
Thanks
Jim

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I think what you're saying is: why bleed the air at the schrader and/or injectors if the return line system bleeds to the tanks?

If so, then the answer is: most of these trucks have a line from the returns back up to the fuel filter head, unless yours has been removed (which a lot of people do). Air is lighter than fuel and rises; so it goes up to the filter head and then into the IP supply line. Bleeding at the schrader vents this air, and bleeding at the injectors allows the air in the injector lines to vent quicker and prime the lines, since our poppet-type injectors work by pressure and won't fire with compressible air in the lines.

Or something.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thats what I was trying to say. My line back to the top of the filter has been eliminated. So since the Ip will only put out so much fuel it will take X number of revolutions of the IP to flow enough fuel to fill the lines and injectors and return lines. So it doesn't seem like bleeding will make it go any faster. Just trying to understand it, since I don't have someone to turn it over for me while I bleed them.

Thanks
Jim

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Thats what I was trying to say. My line back to the top of the filter has been eliminated. So since the Ip will only put out so much fuel it will take X number of revolutions of the IP to flow enough fuel to fill the lines and injectors and return lines. So it doesn't seem like bleeding will make it go any faster. Just trying to understand it, since I don't have someone to turn it over for me while I bleed them.

Thanks
Jim

Well, I just did my returns a few weeks ago, and even though I still have the line up to filter head, I never touched the schrader. I didn't have anyone to help me either. Just hand-tight the injector line nuts at the injectors, make sure your batts have a good charge, and crank at 5 sec intervals until you see fuel at at the injectors. Then tighten the wet ones up and crank and so on until they're all tightened and bled. It's a nice workout jumping in the cab, jumping out to check/ tighten, jumping back into cab...but it is very do-able.

e: oh, don't forget to let the starter cool down for a couple minutes every few times.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anytime you take the hard lines off the injecters you take the chance of air getting into the HARD LINES. The return line air is of no concern. The fuel filter and down to the injection pump will not need any bleeding. That system has not been opened up.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply everyone. I cranked it probably for 20 seconds and then let it rest about 30-40 minutes in between. The batts were low so I had them on the charger all afternoon. It probably took me 6 times to get it to fire up. Oh also the starter wouldn't fire today just a click. So I pulled the starter and the wire to the starter from the solenoid was loose and the solenoid was toast. Got a new solenoid and it turns over great now. Whoever owned this before me couldn't tighten up a bolt. Mech fuel pump bolts were loose. Also the top starter bolt was in loose as well as the one on the solenoid.:mad:

Jim

Reaction score
I've done my lines and caps twice. Both times the truck fired within just a couple seconds of the first crank, almost as if I had never touched anything. I still have the line back up to the filter head.

Mike