Black smoke, lowering RPM in R and 1st

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had this happen in awhile...

RARELY, when I shift into Reverse (E4OD) I get no decrease in RPM and lots of black smoke out the tailpipe. The truck is just rearing to go backwards. The truck did this today for the first time in about 4 months.

SO... I tried shifting into various gears while the truck was misbehaving in this manner to see what would happen. When I put it in 1, the RPMs gradually declined to about 500, with lots of black smoke out the tailpipe. The engine really sounded like it was working, and it would not do a THING when I gave it the go pedal. Nothing. Shifting back into 2 or D and everything was OK. I didn't let the engine keep lugging in this manner because I figured it would eventually stall.

What does this sound like? Trans issue? Or maybe an injector pump issue?

My hunch is that the trans is working fine, but the IP for some reason is not doing whatever it needs to do. Why it would have issues in 1 is beyond me, given that the other forward gears are fine. I would appreciate any speculation on that point--makes me think that the TRANS is the issue. (I'm so CONFUSED!!)

Of course, I'll need to take care of this before towing stuff back east in March...

ON EDIT: 5 minutes after turning the truck off, I went back out and fired her up. Everything is ops normal now. Is there anything electronic that would somehow be setting itself incorrectly, resulting in these symptoms?

Mike

Last edited:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Have you ruled out the TC lockup? Maybe trace those wires and see if any are grounding out irregularly. I imagine at idle if the TCC engaged you wouldn't get a stall real quick. Probably not the line pressure required to do such, but you would get a real gradual engagement that would pull the engine down.
Good Luck
James

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
highest_vision said:
Have you ruled out the TC lockup? Maybe trace those wires and see if any are grounding out irregularly. I imagine at idle if the TCC engaged you wouldn't get a stall real quick. Probably not the line pressure required to do such, but you would get a real gradual engagement that would pull the engine down.
Good Luck
James

I don't have a diagrammy. Could you please tell me where to find the wires? As I recall, there's a bundle that goes to the trans... haven't traced it, but don't know which wires would govern the torque convertor.

Thank you,

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
highest_vision said:
Can't help ya there :sorry: Me has the 3 spd.... and the dieselfiles are still not working. At least for me.
James

I'll dig around.

I got under the truck and looked at all connections. Everything looks good. The one black wire I found was grounded just fine. Disconnected the connections I could, then reconnected. So... the connections look fine as best as I can tell.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
does sound like something electrical,since the problem comes and goes.
maybe something wackey with the MLPS,like its telling the tranney to go into 1st and rev at the same time?
i think i would start by checking the pins in the weather pak connector and the entire harness for rubbed/worn coating and chaffed wires

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have sold it while you had the chance. ;p

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Should have sold it while you had the chance. ;p

I'm never going to say that! I promise!

Besides, wouldn't want the fellow who eventually ends up with her to have too many headaches to deal with. This is either a TC issue or a pump issue, in my OPINION. Never had this issue before the BTS went on, but the IP was rebuilt at about the same time.

I wonder if it is possible that something's crossed electrically INSIDE the transmission?? Now'd be the time to stop by BTS to find out--after all, we have the whole country to cross in about 3 months, and he's about halfway to our destination.