Birthplace of my IDI?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I know my truck was made in good ol Norfick VA (the correct pronunciation) and my utility bed was made in Reading, PA (go figureLOL). Where was my Engine made? Just for kicks and giggles what about my ZF (germany?) and the B-W tranny case? Also isnt Dana in michigan? or do/did they have plants elsewhere?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The motor was made at the indy plant by international... My 89 crewcab was make in canada....:sly

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 90 Crew was also made in Canada.
I used to do some work for Dana Corp in Toledo Ohio. Last week I was across the street from their old world headquarters on Dorr street in Toledo and was told they had recently sold the building and moved into a much smaller building out west of town that they originally built just for their Engineering Dept.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I believe I know someone who worked for Dana or Spicer quite a while back in North Carolina... that is about all I know.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Isn't the spicer made be dana, in a town named spicer? Or did I misunderstand something. Maybe I dreamp it up one night.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess they relocated their light engine plant to Mexico and some more in Brazil now...

This plant wasn't relocated. Granted, they probably have plants in the places you mention, but for the last decade or more the total output of this plant has been for Ford's consumption, and now that Ford is not buying engines from IH, the end of that contract meant the end for this plant and all the people who worked there. There may have been a time when IH would have just closed some other plant and brought work back here, but all their other plants are newer and more modern so I guess they had no incentive to keep it. Just wish we all could have gotten a tour before it closed. :( I had a chance to do that once, but passed it over because it wasn't convienent. Damn...

If there is one thing I have learned over and over in life, is that you must sieze the moment.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to do some work for Dana Corp in Toledo Ohio. Last week I was across the street from their old world headquarters on Dorr street in Toledo and was told they had recently sold the building and moved into a much smaller building out west of town that they originally built just for their Engineering Dept.

Yeah, over near the Inverness Country Club IIRC.

Heath

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Is the plant still standing? I'm going to be in Indy this month from the 23rd to the 25th.

Might have to drive by and take a look!

Would have been really cool to tour the place when they were still making the IDIs!