Biodiesel blends yielding better fuel economy

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I topped off the rear tank today with b5 because it was most convenient to where I was and was heading and I knew the fuel was cheaper where I was going so when I filled both tanks when I got there I was astonished at how little fuel would go into the rear tank as I'd run the rear tank the whole trip I tried to cram more fuel in 3 times because I couldn't believe it'd used so little fuel by my estimates it nearly doubled my fuel mileage has anyone seen any sort of similar results at first I thought it was just some sort of fluke but everything that I've been reading on biodiesel tonight has been suggesting that it does improve fuel economy and performance

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a little bit about biodiesel, and it seems like I've seen very good fuel economy at blends between 20-50%. Biodiesel contains oxygen within it's own molecules so it can have a more efficient and complete burn than a petroleum based fuel which basically contains no oxygen, however the lower heating value of biodiesel is lower than that of petroleum diesel fuel, so you blend the fuels to get the best fuel economy. For example I take about a 10% LHV penalty and likely a similar fuel mileage penalty since I can produce the stuff at home for half the cost of diesel fuel even including highway taxes, all with lower emissions, better lubricity, and not getting angry everytime I have to put fuel in the truck. I do have increased costs in terms of fuel filters (have to change them more often) but I use cheap filters and perhaps the quality of my product could use some improvement, and this is definitely true of my prefiltration. My guess is that with using somewhere between B5 and B20 you will see a reduction in smoke emissions, better fuel economy, and better lubricity and not have to deal with many headaches.

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankyou I think I'm going to try running the b5 for a couple tanks and then see how b20 works for me

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes I notice a MPG gain at a 10% blend!!! I love the stuff, and we are gaining our lubricity back in the process of burning it!
Wow, never knew that it contained oxygen within its molecules, learn something everyday.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Diesel JD is right on...it really depends on the blend and how you use your rig. Biodiesel has less BTU's but makes up for it in higher oxygen content. So if you use your rig to pull or on the high end of the RPM guage you will receive more benefit from the increased oxygen...if that makes sense.

Thad

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, interesting thread, I didn't know bio had more O2 in it, good day I learned me something new!