Bio Diesel

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the price of Bio was lower at a fuel station I passed today is this something I should not put in the 90 IDI?

I searched but did not find any real answers. Thanks in advance.

w4dsb

Reaction score
i am running b20 in my 89 IDI it's 3.39 a gallon so i'm saving .40 cents per gallon this is my 3rd fill up and so far it seems th be ok. Smells a little different since my processor is using soy as a base.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
B100 in my rig in my rear tank for starting. Make sure you keep an eye on your rubber lines/rubber sections. high concentrations of bio will eat older rubber. Also it will clean your fuel system so it might clog some filters.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
biodiesel won't hurt your IDI. It has better lubrication than normal ULSD so it should be good for your injection pump. Change filters and rubber hoses as necessary.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
biodiesel won't hurt your IDI. It has better lubrication than normal ULSD so it should be good for your injection pump. Change filters and rubber hoses as necessary.

Bio diesel slowly swells (and eventually turn into jelly) natural rubber so you have to keep an eye on your rubber lines and gaskets, pump etc

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
In high concentrations it while affect throttle response as well, at least mine does

that reminds me

having also run high concentrations up to 100% there is a bit of power loss. But B-100 does have less energy then regular diesel

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it has lower energy per unit but also has oxygen in the fuel itself therefore a lower energy content but a more complete burn (theoretically anyway). The others are absolutely right about the natural and n-butyl rubber. It does not get along with biodiesel. I've had good luck with the military spec AN fuel hose on the supply lines and am experimenting with vinyl and tygon on the return side. I already know that the viton o-rings from Russ are the right solution to the leaks from the leak off tees.

tractorman86

Reaction score
My understanding is that it has lower energy per unit but also has oxygen in the fuel itself therefore a lower energy content but a more complete burn (theoretically anyway). The others are absolutely right about the natural and n-butyl rubber. It does not get along with biodiesel. I've had good luck with the military spec AN fuel hose on the supply lines and am experimenting with vinyl and tygon on the return side. I already know that the viton o-rings from Russ are the right solution to the leaks from the leak off tees.

Are you still running the fuel line I made you? I believe it is just regular rubber

romulus

Reaction score
i accidentally put 1/2 tank of bio fuel in my truck once. turned out to be one of the most expensive mistakes i ever made.

it trashed the orings in the IP, leaked fuel down the back of the engine and ruined my clutch, i replaced the clutch, it was nearly new. i may have been able to drive it for a while and it may have burned off the contaminants, not sure. i also had to replace the IP.

so that 1/2 tank of fuel cost me about 800 bucks.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Is there really something to the O-rings in the IP? This is the first I've heard about this after dozens of people saying they are successfully running B99 or B100 with just fuel line upgrades and replacing the injector return lines and injector O-rings. I hadn't heard that the IP's were affected by the biodiesel as well. In fact, I read the opposite, that our IP's love Biodiesel because of the extra lubricity in it.

romulus

Reaction score
it may have been a coincidence. what i do know is that about a week after the bio fuel incident the pump started leaking first where the throttle shaft enters the top housing. it was pouring out when it was running, would leave a 12" spot of fuel on the ground.

without removing the IP, i replaced those orings and the leak stopped for a while, then it started leaking from the underside of the pump where there are two screws each with a set of o-rings. the pump worked very well, it just leaked.

the newer materials in reman IP's may be compatible with bio fuel, this was the original IP from 1993, not much bio fuel back then when diesel was cheap. it may have been on its last leg and the bio fuel cleaned out the goo that was preventing a leak. i read that bio fuel is also a good solvent, and has sodium hydroxide (aka, crystal drano) in it from the refinement process.

anyhow, my new IP will never get to taste bio fuel.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Romulus - Depending on where you drive you might not have a choice in the bio diesel matter... When driving between New England and Missouri there were a few places where every pump was a blend between B5 and B20.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
It is most likely a coincidence. I have run several full tanks of B-100 and a mix of bio/whatever for months now and so far the pump is fine. Having said that if tomorrow it decides to puke its guts all over the intake i would not be surprised. I have seen 1st had what bio does to rubber and it turns it into jello but it takes along time

i accidentally put 1/2 tank of bio fuel in my truck once. turned out to be one of the most expensive mistakes i ever made.

it trashed the orings in the IP, leaked fuel down the back of the engine and ruined my clutch, i replaced the clutch, it was nearly new. i may have been able to drive it for a while and it may have burned off the contaminants, not sure. i also had to replace the IP.

so that 1/2 tank of fuel cost me about 800 bucks.