Better traction?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want a set of stock 16" steel wheels i have a spare set. i would just need your 16.5" in return.

Thanks! I'm going to see what I can find locally first though. Shipping from TX to IN might make them pretty expensive. The sad thing about it is that I really do like the wheels, just wish they were not 16.5, and I can't find a set of 16" wheels that I like all that much anywhere.

As far as different tires on each end, I haven't committed to it yet, but my reasoning probably goes back to all the years that I drove a 2wd. I want my front end to be able to stop and turn on wet and icy roads, and my rear tires to be able to make me go forward when I'm off road. I also like the front tires to last longer, and now that they have a diesel on them, I'm thinking that is even more important. Right now, I can't afford to swap all 4 of them at the same time. I'll have to do one pair, and then do the other pair a few months later. The General tires is pretty in-expensive considering the reviews it is getting, so I may just try them in all 4 spots.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, come to think of it, what kind of jack do you guys use? I've got a 12 ton hyd bottle jack that I've been using, but it's tough finding a place on my front end to be able to lift a wheel and then get a jack stand under it. Now that I have an impact, I would like to do a better job of rotating my tires once they are replaced.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, come to think of it, what kind of jack do you guys use? I've got a 12 ton hyd bottle jack that I've been using, but it's tough finding a place on my front end to be able to lift a wheel and then get a jack stand under it. Now that I have an impact, I would like to do a better job of rotating my tires once they are replaced.

It is hard to beat a good old hydraulic bottle-jack, but always carry two.

I don't yet have one, but one of the "low profile" versions would probably be better for getting under a low axle.

A "handyman" is not gonna get in the way of jack-stands, but is also good at kicking out from under things and letting stuff fall. :eek:

As for running the mis-matched tires, around my area it is very common practice on highway driven 4x4s.

Seeing as how the 4x4s are so bad to chew up front tires, especially the lug-treaded tires, it is common practice to put a pair of TOYO Open Country HTs on the steer-axle and MAXXIS Buckshots on the drive-axle; as per the customer's request, we do it all the time. ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have stock sized LT265-75 16" Firestone Transforce AT on stock SuperDuty Allow Rims. I really like this tire, and it is wearing very well and have not had traction issues. They also handle towing well and are quiet on the road. I would buy a set of these again. The only bad thing I have seen with these, is this tire introduced a bit of wander in my truck, nothing bad, but it is there. My Dad noticed the same thing with a set of Firerock Destination LE on an E-150 Van....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Talking tires and traction, it depends on the situation.

In Oregon, mudding wasnt bad cause we actually have soil soil compared to say sand out here in Texas. YOu could always dig to the bottom and get traction. Same with snow. Unless you were in 3'+ of snow, you dont need wide tires, actually skinnier ones are better so you can dig down to the bottom to the dirt and get traction.

Now, down here its a whole other story. Its all sand, and then a couple feet down clay. If you dig down, you wont get out, so wider tires are better.

I guess just ***** your situation and buy a tire accordingly.

I've never been stuck, but I certainly suck as a pull out rig cause of open diffs and the basically the lightest IDI built (unless you get a 2wd version of my pickup....).

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to see what I can find locally first though. Shipping from TX to IN might make them pretty expensive. The sad thing about it is that I really do like the wheels, just wish they were not 16.5, and I can't find a set of 16" wheels that I like all that much anywhere.

As far as different tires on each end, I haven't committed to it yet, but my reasoning probably goes back to all the years that I drove a 2wd. I want my front end to be able to stop and turn on wet and icy roads, and my rear tires to be able to make me go forward when I'm off road. I also like the front tires to last longer, and now that they have a diesel on them, I'm thinking that is even more important. Right now, I can't afford to swap all 4 of them at the same time. I'll have to do one pair, and then do the other pair a few months later. The General tires is pretty in-expensive considering the reviews it is getting, so I may just try them in all 4 spots.

I see your dilemma. I'm not running these right now, but I would recommend BFG KO A/T's. I love these tires and have had them on previous trucks. The reason I recommend them is that they wear like iron, they handled as well as you can ask an A/T and provided great traction for me. You could replace one pair with these, then when it's time for a rotation, replace another pair. The only downside is they are not cheap, but they can be had for less than $200 apiece for the size range your considering, and it should help if your buying one pair at a time. Maybe someone else can chime in with an opinion on these tires? But I think buying four matching tires, and rotating them regularly (I rotate mine every oil change, given the weight of the engine) would last as long as a mismatched set that never gets rotated.

Sorry to be so long winded, just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
No love for teh 16.5's. Not that im a huge fan, but they were cheap. So were the used tires I put on it after the ones that came on em wore out. So are military Goodyears....

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
It is hard to beat a good old hydraulic bottle-jack, but always carry two.

I don't yet have one, but one of the "low profile" versions would probably be better for getting under a low axle.

A "handyman" is not gonna get in the way of jack-stands, but is also good at kicking out from under things and letting stuff fall. :eek:

I carry a handyman as well, and I modified it a little for safety's sake, just welded a shaft from a ball mount to it so I can put it in the receiver, and it doesn't go anywhere

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a handyman as well, and I modified it a little for safety's sake, just welded a shaft from a ball mount to it so I can put it in the receiver, and it doesn't go anywhere

I had thought I had seen it all, but that idea is a first for me. :thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to be able to drive on snow and ice, what you need is a set of Nokians Instant end of worries, you will be driving places that 4x4s can't even dream of. If you want to drive on snow, buy tires from folks who live in it the better part of the year. Those things are made in Finland, the company test track is a frozen lake in Finnish Lapland above the arctic circle ;Sweet The rubber compound is not soft and they last a long time, it has all kinds of glass fiber and silica imbedded in it for friction, so it is a combination friction and studded tire.
I run the exact version on two of our cars, and those things will drive circles around anything on ice and snow.

About the next best thing is a set of Green Diamond tires , Those suckers were invented in Iceland. They are a studless friction tire with a bunch of carbide granules imbeded in the rubber Folks who use them swear by them. They are a remoulded tire ( a bit fancier than a standard recap , the whole thing is fresh around a used case ) Since winter has started, their stocks are low on most sizes , but some dealers may have more on hand.

Anything less than those, buy a set of chains, and not cable chains, they slip on ice, real metal link chains only. Security Whitestar chains go on easy and work great and the alloy is strong so they don't break links even when you have to run them on dry.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here, and those tracks would be COOL if I a 4x4 just to run around the farm with! As it is, I think my budget will drive me to the Generals. I think anything will be a TON better than the monstrosities that I have now. I'll have to keep this thread handy so that when I wear out the next set (and have some more $$), I'll remember where to go to get some really good tires ;)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Oh man, I want -Drool
I wonder how long I'd have to sleep in the 5er to work a set of those off :eek:
you wouldn't, if you don't have a second mortgage yet......

the ones for atv's are 2 grand for all 4, my neighbor has them on his new side by side, thats why I know that, I had to ask him :p